Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Strange Virus Disabling Control Panel, All Programs In Start Bar Ect. Read On For More.

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 brooksey!!!

brooksey!!!

• Members
  • 186 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:53 PM

Posted 10 July 2008 - 02:48 PM

Hi.
I am in desprate need of help! This week, i think i may have downloadeed a virus in Kaspersky anti-virus 7.0.1. I installed it, thinking it was safe, and it then it stopped me from accessing All Programs in the start bar, It also stopped me from accessing the internet, and has opened strange pop-ups ever since. It installed 3 programs - Error cleaner, Privacy protector and spyware and malware protection. It also stops me from opening the display control panel. I thought this may be related to the new virus 2009 that was on the homepage of this site. it shows a little box where the time should be saying "VIRUS ALERT!" in capital letters. This is actually in the task bar. Can anyone help???

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,267 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:53 PM

Posted 10 July 2008 - 04:08 PM

If you're using Windows 2000/XP, please print out and follow the instructions for using SDFix in BC's self-help tutorial "How to use SDFix". This program is for Windows 2000/XP ONLY.
-- When using this tool, you must use the Administrator's account or an account with "Administrative rights"
-- Disconnect from the Internet and temporarily disable your anti-virus and any anti-malware real time protection before performing a scan.

When done, the SDFix report log will open in notepad and automatically be saved in the SDFix folder as Report.txt. Please copy and paste the contents of Report.txt in your next reply. Be sure to renable you anti-virus and and other security programs before connecting to the Internet.

To fix the policy restrictions created by this infection, please open the SDFix folder or download XP_CodecRepair.inf and save it to your desktop. for Windows XP ONLY.
  • Right-click on XP_CodecRepair.inf and select Install from the Context menu.
  • Note: To download the .inf file, go to File, choose "Save page as" All Files and save XP_CodecRepair.inf to your desktop.
  • Then log off or reboot to apply the changes.
Please download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and save it to your desktop.
alternate download link 1
alternate download link 2
  • Make sure you are connected to the Internet.
  • Double-click on Download_mbam-setup.exe to install the application.
  • When the installation begins, follow the prompts and do not make any changes to default settings.
  • When installation has finished, make sure you leave both of these checked:
    • Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
    • Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
  • Then click Finish.
MBAM will automatically start and you will be asked to update the program before performing a scan.
  • If an update is found, the program will automatically update itself.
  • Press the OK button to close that box and continue.
  • If you encounter any problems while downloading the updates, manually download them from here and just double-click on mbam-rules.exe to install.
On the Scanner tab:
  • Make sure the "Perform Quick Scan" option is selected.
  • Then click on the Scan button.
  • If asked to select the drives to scan, leave all the drives selected and click on the Start Scan button.
  • The scan will begin and "Scan in progress" will show at the top. It may take some time to complete so please be patient.
  • When the scan is finished, a message box will say "The scan completed successfully. Click 'Show Results' to display all objects found".
  • Click OK to close the message box and continue with the removal process.
Back at the main Scanner screen:
  • Click on the Show Results button to see a list of any malware that was found.
  • Make sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
  • When removal is completed, a log report will open in Notepad and you may be prompted to restart your computer. (see Note below)
  • The log is automatically saved and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.
  • Copy and paste the contents of that report in your next reply and exit MBAM.
Instructions with screenshots if needed.

Note: If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove, you will be presented with 1 of 2 prompts. Click OK to either and let MBAM proceed with the disinfection process. If asked to restart the computer, please do so immediately. Failure to reboot will prevent MBAM from removing all the malware.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 brooksey!!!

brooksey!!!
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 186 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2008 - 01:09 PM

Hello again,
Thanks so much for all the help, but this has not seemed to help. I downloaded SpyBot, and MalwareBytes, but there is still a problem. I may just buy a new hard drive, and tell my dad it was because it was too small............

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,267 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2008 - 01:40 PM

I may just buy a new hard drive, and tell my dad it was because it was too small

Now that would not be honest would it?

Can you please the logs from SDFix and MBAB for me to review?

#5 brooksey!!!

brooksey!!!
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 186 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2008 - 08:43 AM

Hello again. Thanks for talking an interest in this particular issue! I am not very good, and do not know how to get logs from the two programs. Could you instruct me by any chance?

#6 brooksey!!!

brooksey!!!
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 186 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2008 - 08:47 AM

I worked out how to get two logs from malware bytes, But not SDfix
Heres the logs from Malwarebytes

Edited by brooksey!!!, 27 August 2008 - 08:54 AM.

#7 brooksey!!!

brooksey!!!
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 186 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2008 - 08:53 AM

Again, i worked out how to get the log from malwarebytes! Here it is! There are two logs, so i ashll include both of them:

Heres No.1:

5/08/2008 09:29:52 Allowed (based on user decision) value "BootExecute" (new data: "PDBoot.exe
autocheck PDBoot.exe
autocheck PDBoot.exe
autocheck autochk *
") changed in Session manager!
25/08/2008 09:29:55 Allowed (based on user decision) value "BootExecute" (new data: "PDBoot.exe
autocheck PDBoot.exe
autocheck PDBoot.exe
autocheck autochk *
") changed in Session manager!
26/08/2008 18:13:44 Allowed (based on user decision) value "scrnsave.exe" (new data: "C:\WINDOWS\system32\ssmypics.scr") changed in Desktop settings!
27/08/2008 14:06:28 Allowed (based on user decision) value "MsServer" (new data: "") deleted in System Startup user entry!
27/08/2008 14:06:33 Allowed (based on user decision) value "" (new data: ""%1" %*") changed in SCR Extension handler!
27/08/2008 14:06:38 Allowed (based on user decision) value "" (new data: "regedit.exe "%1" %*") changed in REG Extension handler!
27/08/2008 14:06:39 Allowed (based on user decision) value "wingsa32" (new data: "") deleted in Winlogon Notifiers!
27/08/2008 14:33:09 Allowed (based on user decision) value "WinPatrol" (new data: "") deleted in System Startup global entry!

Heres No.2:

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.25
Database version: 1078
Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2

14:33:55 27/08/2008
mbam-log-08-27-2008 (14-33-55).txt

Scan type: Quick Scan
Objects scanned: 51201
Time elapsed: 18 minute(s), 59 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
Memory Modules Infected: 0
Registry Keys Infected: 0
Registry Values Infected: 0
Registry Data Items Infected: 0
Folders Infected: 0
Files Infected: 1

Memory Processes Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:

Registry Values Infected:

Registry Data Items Infected:

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:
C:\WINDOWS\system32\clbinit.dll (Trojan.Vundo) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

#8 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,267 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2008 - 08:57 AM

The SDFix report log can be found inside the SDFix folder as Report.txt. Just double-click on it to open in notepad, highlight everything, copy and paste in back here.

#9 brooksey!!!

brooksey!!!
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 186 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2008 - 08:54 AM

Sorry, but how do i even find the file with the logs in?

#10 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,267 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2008 - 09:06 AM

If you followed the instructions for SDFix properly, it will have extracted the files to %systemdrive% - [i](this is the drive that contains the Windows Directory, typically C:\SDFix). Go to that folder and open it. Inside you should find the scan results in Report.txt.

#11 gagne73

gagne73

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:53 PM

Posted 28 August 2008 - 10:17 AM

it sounds as tho I have the same virus. the problem withthis SDfix thing is that we are no longer an administrator. I have no access to my computer, c drive, run, control panel or anything like that.. I just posted about my problem and it has a little more detail in it

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users