Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Data Recovery Suggestions Needed

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 mindnova

mindnova

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:47 AM

Posted 10 July 2008 - 01:47 PM

Well I hooked up the cables and can access part of my data from my crashed hard drive. Some seems to be hidden. For some reason my documents folder is hidden from me. Checking the amount of data indicates that its there I have a 52 gig harddrive and 45 gigs are used. These can only be my photos in the doc folder.

So any suggestions would be helpful.

Also Can I transfer everything from my crashed drive to a backup storage device and go ahead and format and reinstall everything on the original hard drive. That way I can give my wifes computer back and pick through the backup with my harddrive re-installed. I would also feel safer with things back together than having my hard drive just laying out.

As I said before this is a dell inspiron 6000 with XP sp3 that I crashed. It had been unstable for months but stupid me did not back up for 6 months and I have lots of photos and doc.

Thanks in advance,
mindnova

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,567 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:47 PM

Posted 10 July 2008 - 03:46 PM

Often, when a bootable hard drive is moved from one system to another, users cannot access a group of folders (Docs/Settings, My Computer, etc.).

This calls for a procedure known as "taking ownership" of the files. It's pretty routine, How to take ownership of a file or folder in Windows XP - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308421

<<Also Can I transfer everything from my crashed drive to a backup storage device and go ahead and format and reinstall everything on the original hard drive.>>

I guess that I don't understand what you are asking. After you get all your desired data files off the troubled drive...you can do whatever you want with it.

I would suggest that you do two things before even thinking about using it again:

a. Run a manufacturer's diagnostic on it to ensure that it has no inherent, current problems...before attempting to reinstall XP on it.

b. Use the XP CD to delete the existing partitions on it...then create a new partition/format/install XP...if that's your ultimate goal.

Louis

#3 mindnova

mindnova
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2008 - 09:46 PM

<<Also Can I transfer everything from my crashed drive to a backup storage device and go ahead and format and reinstall everything on the original hard drive.>>

I guess that I don't understand what you are asking. After you get all your desired data files off the troubled drive...you can do whatever you want with it.
Louis

What I mean is can I transfer everything, all files to a external hard drive and then later pick through and remove what I need. This would allow me to maybe reinstall a program and see where it hides its user data. This would also allow me to give the computer back to its owner and then use mine after reformatting to dig through the drive. This would also help as some programs used special file prefixs that are not installed on the borrowed computer.

Thanks,
mindnova

#4 raw

raw

Bleeping Hacker

• Members
  • 2,577 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2008 - 10:41 PM

Might give this a shot, PhotoRec recognizes over 180 file formats.
http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/PhotoRec

rawsig.png

rawcreations.net          @raw_creations

Current systems: WHAT OS, BackTrack-raw, PCLinuxOS, Peppermint OS 6, Kali Linux

and a custom Linux From Scratch server hosting a bunch of top secret stuff.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,567 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:47 PM

Posted 11 July 2008 - 06:55 AM

Well...you could always make a disk image of the system partitions.

Disk imaging software copies the partition/drive exactly as it is now.

Part of the software package should be a mini-program that allows any user to restore individual files or the entire backup, as user wishes.

I use an old program (Drive Image 2002) and I can access any file in any backup at any time, using the program. I can restore it to any partition/folder I wish.

Louis

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:47 AM

Posted 12 July 2008 - 06:55 AM

You can copy the entire drive to an external drive - but it's a waste of space and time to copy everything.
Data is the only thing that you'll be easily able to recover.
Installed program and Windows won't work off the external drive - and that's the majority of stuff on most systems.
For XP you usually only need the user profile stuff and maybe the Shared stuff in the All Users profile (these are contained in the Documents and Settings folder). Occasionally email programs, tax/accounting programs, and other specialize software may store stuff outside of the user profiles - but this is becoming much less common as programs are updated by the manufacturer.

Installed programs (and Windows) creates registry entries and places files in locations that are referred to by both relative paths (%systemroot%) and absolutie paths (C:\Windows). With the program on an external drive, it won't know how to correctly address any changes in these parameters. Additionally, Windows assigns security descriptors that tell the system that it's from a different copy of the operating system - so it won't work on the current system.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users