Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Programming Languages

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Giant9

Giant9

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:11 PM

Posted 10 July 2008 - 01:35 PM

I am completely new to programming (like god knows how many others here) have been lurking this site a few days, and it looks really useful. Can anyone help me with picking up a programming language? What is the best way (or at least a few good ways) to start? I want something that will be useful long-term instead of just something I can pick up very easily/quickly, although if that is a necessary step along the way, I'm willing to do it that way.

Also, I'd like to compile a simple comparative list of languages, for my own use and for others. The ones I know exist are:
C++
Python
VB
Java

This can't be comprehensive, so could you guys give me some help? Appreciated.

AA Ries

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:11 AM

Posted 10 July 2008 - 04:41 PM

Hello Giant9 and welcome,

You are correct there are many programming languages http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_programming_languages will give some indication of how vast the area is.

I would recommend an object orientated language see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_progr...based_languages

Java would be the best choice in my opinion; it can run on any platform and be can be picked up fairly easily.
Regards,

Alan.

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:11 AM

Posted 10 July 2008 - 06:11 PM

There is a somewhat lengthly thread about this subject that you might want to read, as it may give you some different veiwpoints:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/146068/where-to-start/

Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#4 Giant9

Giant9
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:11 PM

Posted 12 July 2008 - 02:10 AM

Thanks for the advice niggle and John. I've asked a friend, who also suggested Java, but thought Python is better to learn. What are the merits of Python or Java relative to each other?
@John: Haha, I read that thread beforehand, and even bookmarked the page "How to learn programming in ten years." One of the most down to earth explanations of how to program I've read. Thank you for reaffirming my confidence in it.

Cheers,
AA Ries

#5 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2008 - 06:24 AM

I prefer Java, I'm starting to learn Python, http://www.ferg.org/projects/python_java_side-by-side.html is a good comparison chart.
Regards,

Alan.

#6 Juha

Juha

• Members
  • 512 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:11 AM

Posted 13 July 2008 - 12:26 PM

Thanks Niggle for that excellent link. As a novice programmer thinking of learning Java in the near future, I have found it very interesting.

#7 Juha

Juha

• Members
  • 512 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:11 AM

Posted 13 July 2008 - 12:30 PM

<Deleted>

Sorry, double post!

Edited by Juha, 13 July 2008 - 12:30 PM.

#8 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2008 - 01:40 PM

No problem, glad to help. Java is a great language to learn, If you need any help just ask.
Regards,

Alan.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users