Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Installing - Uninstalling Applications - System Hangs

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 DippyGirl

DippyGirl

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:33 AM

Posted 10 July 2008 - 01:14 PM

Vista Home 32bit - SP1 not installed
Sorry if this covered somewhere else... my searches didnt show anything - please point me at it

Recently I have started to experience difficulties installing or uninstalling applications (I have no valid pre-problem restore points to go back to)
The wizard runs fine until it is about to finish and then it hangs
- The wizard cant be cancelled
- I cannot start any new apps
- TaskManager and Procmon cant end the wizard (tend to have them started before attempting to un/install
Only way I have found to get out of this is to switch off and restart - hardly ideal

All scans show nothing is wrong
CCleaner runs OK and clears lots of /temp/ junk
I can update registry using regedit OK - spybot pops but allows the update
I can use MSconfig - spybot does its stuff and all is well

Any ideas, things to check .... wild shots in the dark appreciated

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,073 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:33 PM

Posted 10 July 2008 - 03:38 PM

I'd start by looking for errors in your Event Viewer - and seeing if any of the programs have installer/uninstaller logs that you can have a look at.

Try turning off UAC temporarily to see if that fixes it (that'd mean it's likely to be a permissions error)
Have you given SpyBot admin permissions to run?
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 DippyGirl

DippyGirl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:33 AM

Posted 11 July 2008 - 07:56 AM

Usasma - thanks for the response
Running with UAC off ...I know I know I shouldnt but its such a a pain.
Spybot running OK, but somewhere I do think it is a permission issue

Update
=====
I seem to have regained some stability - though I dont know if I am fixed
Something I maybe should have mentioned -sorry- I had been running with selective startup (trying to get rid of un-needed progs/services)

What I did since I posted ..
Started to selectively disabled progs in startup (msconfig) Spybot, SuperAntivirus, AVG

On startup get the sys config box popping to say I had changed something , OK this and continue
Sometimes the system would be alright and I could launch apps (sometimes it would hang , but poweroff/start safe/ reboot got things fixed) - but it still got hung up on Un/Install of a prog

Then I unchecked ZoneAlarm (though i think on reflectiion anything would have been any prog ) and then thought it wasnt going to be that so checked it again. On exit APPLY wasnt grey'd as i had changed something ,,, but i clicked OK instead of cancel
Anyway on next restart I got the normal System Config Util box - clicked OK ...system hung ! Nothing will launch
This may be a coincidence or may be the straw that did for the camel but I now have a useless system that I cant even look at

Cycled through Switch off/Start Safe/Restart a couple of times but always with the same result - configuration has changed, OK, Hung !

Decided to go back to Normal Startup
This worked - though I did get all the redundant stuff starting. Spybot did its stuff requesting confirms for all the 'now new' stuff - CCleaner having "tidyd up"
Rebooted agian to get a "clean" start - could launch apps and un/install things
- I now use Spybot to not allow things to start and all seems well

Bottom line - dont know what I did to break it - probably got something out of step, and as I say it may not be fixed but for now it is stable
Plan to leave well alone until I have sometime and then -rip out all the junk and un-reinstall the bits I need/want ...and hopefully end up with a cleaner setup. Guess this would have been a better PlanA

If anything else comes to light I will append.

Thanks again for your time
Ciao

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,073 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:33 PM

Posted 11 July 2008 - 08:49 AM

FWIW - I don't practice what I preach :huh: I turn UAC off on my personal system - but if I get infected I can restore and image and be back up and running in 20 minutes.

I don't recommend the use of MSCONFIG as a startup manager. It wasn't designed for this - and it frequently will complicate things when we're trying to troubleshoot an issue.
I recommend (in Vista) the use of Windows Defender for routine startup maintenance - and the free program Autoruns ( http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinte...s/bb963902.aspx ) for mare advanced operations.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users