Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help With An Automatic Update, Please

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 MaraM

MaraM

• Members
  • 1,717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:24 PM

Posted 10 July 2008 - 01:04 PM

I have Windows XP and an update automatically started which, in turn, required my computer to restart.

The moment it did restart, I could no longer connect to the internet - Firefox nor Thunderbird would connect - nor, for that matter, IE (which I only use in an emergency) - and my AVG through up a warning saying I was no longer fully protected.

Used system restore to an earlier date.

Restarted computer ... auto update started again ... restarted computer - same thing happened.

But - on the System Restore window it said: "Software Distribution Service 3.0" had been installed.

1. Is this an update from Windows - or perhaps AVG?
2. Is there a way to stop all auto updates without my agreeing to them first?
3. Do I need this pesky "Service 3.0"? ... and if so, how can I get it to stop preventing my computer from working properly, please?

Thank you ever so much for any help.
Mara
Never let your computer realize you are in a hurry or just typing the last few words of a vital document.

While outer events might make one happy or sad, happiness itself is entirely internal, and at all times completely within one's power.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mme

mme

• Members
  • 400 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:24 PM

Posted 10 July 2008 - 01:17 PM

hi....do you have zone alarm for firewall

if you do then try one of these

This update seems to be the one that conflicts with Zone Alarm

(KB951748)

Your choices are

1 Remove update through Add/remove Programs
2Reset Zone Alarm to Medium (security settings)

If you prefer your Zone Alarm setting High instead of Medium
Then remove Security Patch... (KB951748) Through Add/Remove Programs
until the issue has been resolved...............

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,870 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:24 PM

Posted 10 July 2008 - 03:38 PM

[post="http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/en-us/default.aspx?dg=microsoft.public.windowsupdate&tid=47ec8d20-a50b-4652-ac96-e13136fb22a3&cat=&lang=&cr=&sloc=&p=1"]More Info On Software Distribution Service[/post]

It seems that SDS is connected with WinUpdate...I have a folder titled Software Distribution under my C:/Windows main folder. I use auto updates at times, so it all fits.

I suspect that all of the consternation this folder or its contents creates for some users...is related to file corruption somewhere in the WinUpdate process, at least that theory makes sense to me.

I think I'd try going to manual updates...delete that folder and its contents...and then maybe go back to auto updates and see what happens.

I don't see a known fix for this provided by anyone, so I'd take my chances with my corruption theory. You don't have to subscribe to my theory :thumbsup:.

You might also try using Dial-a-fix, [post="http://lunarsoft.net/downloads/cat_view/40-tech-utilities"]Dial-a-fix Utility[/post]

Louis

#4 MaraM

MaraM
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,717 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2008 - 03:43 PM

Thank you so much for the quick responses!

Heading off to try them and if I don't mess up completely, should be back to let you know it was successful! :thumbsup:
Never let your computer realize you are in a hurry or just typing the last few words of a vital document.

While outer events might make one happy or sad, happiness itself is entirely internal, and at all times completely within one's power.

#5 secretangel

secretangel

• Members
  • 154 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2008 - 04:11 PM

I have also had a problem with this today. Couldn't get online - didn't know why. Eventually found out through a friend and as advised on the Zone Alarm website downloaded the up-to-date version.

But when I had done that, although I could get online, my computer had ground to a stand-still. I have ended up having to do a system restore to remove the windows updates and the zone alarm update.

So is the best way round this just not allowing that particular windows update to install? Not sure why the Zone Alarm update would make my pc so slow
Posted Image

When you wanna give up, and your hearts about to break
Remember that you're perfect, God makes no mistakes

#6 MaraM

MaraM
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,717 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2008 - 04:28 PM

So it's an update from Zone Alarm that is causing the woe - not Microsoft! And here I've been grumbling mentally at poor Microsoft! :thumbsup:

#7 DSTM

DSTM

"Bleepin' Aussie Addict"

• Members
  • 2,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:24 PM

Posted 10 July 2008 - 04:37 PM

I read this on the ZA Site,MaraM.
http://forum.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/board/m...essage.id=52860

#8 secretangel

secretangel

• Members
  • 154 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2008 - 04:41 PM

well I think the microsoft update caused problems for those with zone alarm so its a bit of both really lol.

But downloading the zone alarm fix sorted the problem with the internet for me but pc was so slow I couldn't do anything.
Posted Image

When you wanna give up, and your hearts about to break
Remember that you're perfect, God makes no mistakes

#9 mme

mme

• Members
  • 400 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2008 - 04:48 PM

Not a problem with the patch but ZA, or it would affect more 3rd party firewalls than just ZA. Also,

http://download.zonealarm.com/bin/free/pre...ccessIssue.html

it has been fixed with a new version of ZA.

And for anyone curious what KB951748 is really about,

http://www.kb.cert.org/vuls/id/800113

Edited by mme, 10 July 2008 - 05:09 PM.

#10 DSTM

DSTM

"Bleepin' Aussie Addict"

• Members
  • 2,649 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2008 - 05:02 PM

This link works,I hope.

#11 mme

mme

• Members
  • 400 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2008 - 05:11 PM

thank you DSTM
i copied the link from you to fix the broken link on mine

#12 DSTM

DSTM

"Bleepin' Aussie Addict"

• Members
  • 2,649 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2008 - 06:35 PM

Your Welcome. :thumbsup:

#13 MaraM

MaraM
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,717 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2008 - 10:21 PM

This link works,I hope.

Thanks so so so much, everyone!

I had to laugh at myself when I click on the link and one of the instructions said, "Navigate to the "ZoneAlarm Firewall" panel" ... I finally found it but a huge duh to myself as I right-clicked on the icon on the desk and nope, nope - one has to go via Start>Programs>AVG to get to it. Decided to not go with this method, simply because of loss of security. (Hmmm...one should have less security because of a hiccup with the up-date!).

Off to try the second suggestion on the site - and thanks again! Huge happy smile and my sincere thanks!

#14 igonuts2

igonuts2

• Members
  • 358 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:24 PM

Posted 11 July 2008 - 12:42 AM

i found this surffing at bc i think, yesterday, in another thread.

http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=214468

food for thought

Edited by igonuts2, 11 July 2008 - 12:43 AM.

Why work when you can play!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users