Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Screen Flickers & Cursor Flickers.

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 tia08

tia08

• Members
  • 191 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:59 PM

Posted 10 July 2008 - 12:18 PM

Sometimes I have flickers of the screen [turns white then back to normal in a sec] BUT that's only sometimes when it freezes or something.
& Another thing is the cursor flickers with a drop shadow of a ugly color to it. [Not sure how to explain that] BUT i need help to know why this does this.

& How do I know if my computer is good to run a game on it.

PLEASE help me.

tia08.
thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:59 PM

Posted 10 July 2008 - 03:28 PM

Please provide more information about your system. We'll need, at a minimum, the exact make and model in order to start even trying to figure out if it's capable of which games. Also, please include the version of Vista that you have (Basic, Home Premium, Business, Enterprise, or Ultimate).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 tia08

tia08
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 191 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2008 - 05:36 AM

Posted Image

Can someone explain the flickers I'm having?

#4 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2008 - 08:38 AM

As a first attempt at a fix, I'd suggest that you reinstall your video drivers. Here's a link to the page where they're located: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwar...6819&dlc=en

Just download that file and double click on it to start the installation. Let us know if it gives you any error messages (or it doesn't fix the problem) and we'll try other things.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 tia08

tia08
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 191 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2008 - 10:49 AM

I downloaded it - I'll see if it fixes it.
I downloaded it , installed it & restarted the computer.
Hopefully it doesn't flicker now.

// gross, the cursor flickers still - it's still there.

Edited by tia08, 11 July 2008 - 10:55 AM.

#6 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2008 - 06:30 AM

Go to Start and type in "perfmon /report" (without the quotes) and then press Enter
Let us know any errors that it finds.

FWIW - I'm starting to suspect a hardware issue. If the system is still under warranty, I'd suggest having it looked at by the warranty repair center (you can call HP at 1-800-HPINVENT in the US to find the nearest one)

#7 tia08

tia08
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 191 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2008 - 08:40 AM

It's only when i upload something. doesn't ALWAYS SHOW.
the flicker of the screen stopped though.

NO ERRORS - JUST WARNINGS.
Symptom:
The system is experiencing excessive paging
Cause: Available memory on the system is low.
Details: The total physical memory on the system is not capable of handling the load.
Resolution: Upgrade the physical memory or reduce system load

Edited by tia08, 12 July 2008 - 09:03 AM.

#8 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2008 - 01:57 PM

I agree with it, I'd upgrade your memory. 2 gB is the sweet spot for most Vista, although Home Basic can work acceptably on 1 gB (but not spectacularly).

THis is sorta like the initial thing with XP. It worked well with 128 or 256 mB straight out of the box. As time wore on, it needed at least 512 mB to perform acceptably - now, with the advent of newer, more complicated programs, 1 gB is the sweet spot. And, I'm thinking that 2 gB will be the sweet spot in the future.

Edited by usasma, 12 July 2008 - 01:59 PM.

#9 tia08

tia08
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 191 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2008 - 03:02 PM

Yeah but i don't think thats causing the ugly shadow.

#10 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2008 - 03:10 PM

You may want to check the settings of you mouse in Control Panel to see if that's causing the ugly shadow.

#11 tia08

tia08
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 191 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2008 - 03:16 PM

I don't understand.
I don't think theres any major settings in the control panel.

How about games? What kind of games can I run?

Edited by tia08, 12 July 2008 - 03:16 PM.

#12 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2008 - 04:41 PM

Each game has a list of system requirements - stuff that's needed to play it. Read the system requirements for each game that you want to play and compare it to your system.

#13 tia08

tia08
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 191 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2008 - 05:31 AM

Is there any other way I can check to get rid of the drop shadow flicker?

#14 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2008 - 06:53 AM

Post a picture of it so we can get a better idea of what it actually is. Here's a tutorial on screen shots: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/how-to-take-and-share-a-screen-shot-in-windows/

#15 tia08

tia08
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 191 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2008 - 09:12 AM

I tried getting a screen shot but it wouldn't show the cursor and the shadow.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users