Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No Listings In My Xp Home "add/remove Programs" List

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 HCRDAN

HCRDAN

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:53 PM

Posted 10 July 2008 - 08:39 AM

Hello all,

Here is the background:

Windows XP home, no viruses or any malware/spyware ever detected by McAfee. Yet, when I look at the "Add/remove programs" list, it comes up blank. Any though on how to repair what must be some sort of file corruption?

Thank you

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:53 PM

Posted 10 July 2008 - 08:56 AM

Try this "quick fix":

Click Start, click Run, and then type CMD.
At the prompt, type REGSVR32 APPWIZ.CPL
Press Enter

Let us know if this fixes things. If not, we've got other things to try.
Good luck!
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 HCRDAN

HCRDAN
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2008 - 09:18 AM

Thank you, that worked to rebuild the list of installed apps. There are still some apparent issues however. Many of these no longer have the "Change/Remove" option on them.

#4 oneup

oneup

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2008 - 07:33 PM

perhaps you will want to try using a different uninstall program. I use revo uninstaller. I find it to work better. I'm sorry ,I can't help you, but I can offer that alternative.
Posted Image

#5 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2008 - 07:15 AM

While I'm not that familiar with this particular problem, the fact the the regsvr32 command helped is encouraging.

So, I'd have to suggest this free utility to re-register a lot more of the system dll's: http://wiki.lunarsoft.net/wiki/Dial-a-fix#Standard_version
In particular, I'd suggest the Registration Center section...Control Panel Applets fix
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2008 - 07:22 AM

Although I haven't read the full post here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/130364/corrupted-addremove-programs/
it appears to be a similar problem to yours so it may be worth reading.

#7 OleGreyGhost

OleGreyGhost

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2008 - 09:06 PM

Although I haven't read the full post here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/130364/corrupted-addremove-programs/
it appears to be a similar problem to yours so it may be worth reading.

Hi HRCDAN,

As usasma points out, this appears to be very much the same problem as in my post. Yours does not appear to be as severe because your applet was empty when you discovered the problem.
Before I go any further, I need to know your computer experience and your computer specs. If you do not feel confident poking around and making edits in the registry, this should not be attempted.
To make a short read of my post, I am still in the process of repairing the applet. I have other information to collect to complete my repair. Hopefully your information will be in better shape.
I will watch for your reply. OleGreyGhost
IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 CPU 3.20GHz (2 CPUs) ^ Memory: 2048MB RAM Kingston PC 3200 CL3
Epox 4PLAI (Rev 1.3) Breeds Hill Chipset ^ AwardBIOS v6.00PG ^ 2x200Gig HD(4 logical drives)
eVga GeForce 7800 GS (AGP) Mem: 256 MB GDDR3 DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
Operating Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 2 (Oem)
ZA Security Suite^Spyware Detector^Max Reg Cleaner^Ad Aware 2007^Spybot S&D and CCleaner.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users