Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Just Wondering

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Wink

Wink

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:10 PM

Posted 12 April 2005 - 10:25 AM

Hi, As I was cruising around Bleeping Computer this morning, and my clicker finger twitched and I accidently went to the advertizing site, Invision Power Board. I went back to BC and about a minute later, my browser would not load any new pages. I was just going to shut down the Internet, and “ABRA-CADABRA”, My Websearch Tool Bar magicly appeared while I was watching the screen.
My question is, with the security I have, Norton 2005, enabled, and Microsoft Anti Spyware, active, how could this program get by them both? The Microsoft Anti Spyware, picked it up, after I removed My Websearch from Add and Remove Programs, just a little late in my opinion. By the way, Spyware Blaster, 3.3 dos not even list it.
With the good advice from Bleeping Computer, and Black Viper (I have used a lot of his settings for a year and half now) I have been able to keep my computer fairly clean, no easy chore with 3 children, and myself, using the Internet almost constantly. I still find that I spend about 2 to 4 hours a week cleaning bleep out of my computer, but to actually watch, what I consider to be mall ware, install itself and can't do anything to stop it , pisses me off! There otta be a law.
Thanks,
Wink

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 raw

raw

Bleeping Hacker

• Members
  • 2,577 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:10 PM

Posted 12 April 2005 - 12:29 PM

You can try SpywareGuard. It's a great addition to SpywareBlaster from the same folks over at javacool.
You can also consider using a different web browser such as Firefox which is not vulnerable to those toolbar hijackings.

http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/

http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/spywareguard.html

rawsig.png

rawcreations.net          @raw_creations

Current systems: WHAT OS, BackTrack-raw, PCLinuxOS, Peppermint OS 6, Kali Linux

and a custom Linux From Scratch server hosting a bunch of top secret stuff.

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:10 PM

Posted 12 April 2005 - 12:40 PM

Many anti-spyware programmes ONLY idenify and remove spyware when they are already found on your hard drive, and do not have (like a good AV does) active scanning functionality that will prevent the actual downloading. Nor should you expect your AV, no matter how good it is, to ALSO scan for spyware or adware, since it is strickly looking for viruses and trojans.
The best defence against spyware is a careful user, and an alternative browser that does not support ActiveX controls.
Cheers,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#4 Wink

Wink
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:10 PM

Posted 12 April 2005 - 08:54 PM

Thank You, for the responses Raw and John just to note, I switched to Fire Fox months ago, and I use it most of the time, as I was this morning, that is why My Websearch surprised me so much. Other than today, I have not had any mall ware like this installed on my computer, since I stopped using Internet Explorer. I also have the ActiveX controls disabled in I.E. Norton 2005 dos catch some adware downloads, it found Adware.Ezula on April 5,05. I thought I was quite safe from these unwanted downloads, with the Norton Fire Wall running, and using Fire Fox as my main browser. I do know before I installed these two programs, I had all kinds of problems with unwanted tool-bars and such. Have a great day. Wink

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users