Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What Do I Look For When Recovering Data From Crash

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 mindnova

mindnova

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:23 AM

Posted 10 July 2008 - 07:51 AM

I have a Dell inspiron 6000 laptop, with XP sp3 installed. I was using AVG antivirus and I (I stress the I) told it to fix items with warnings and it crashed instantly.

Now I get th lsass.exe And it says indicates object not found and then reboots endlessly. I have read about the virus that also causes this but am sure I wrecked my system. I have tried reccommendations that I can handle and failed to fix the problem.

I just ordered the cables to remove and recover my data from my hard drive. I am now ready to begin.

What I need are any suggestions or cautions when removing the hard drive and recovering the data. The cables are from Cables to Go and come with simple instructions. I am using USB 2.0 to ide or sata drive adapter. This set connects to 2.5, 3.5, and 5.25. The reason for this choice is I have a couple compaq desktops I need to remove data from later.

The other question is what data, aside from my documents should I recover. I have most of the software to reinstall and keys. A link to a step by step would be great. Items such as personal settings etc., would be helpful.

I also have had dell send me the setup discs to return my laptop to factory settings and then I will need to update drivers.

The laptop has been a bit unstable and I installed and unstalled a lot of programs so a clean install would be the best solution I guess.

Thanks in advance for and help and have a great day.
mindnova

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:23 AM

Posted 10 July 2008 - 08:47 AM

I would avoid exporting personal settings, etc as they may have been corrupted and transferring them will cause problems that are difficult to solve. Just backup your data and leave the settings for when you reinstall Windows. This is especially true if you suspect an infection. Don't forget to scan the backed up data with an updated antivirus program in case there's any of them hiding in your data folders.

In Windows XP there's a folder named "Documents and Settings".
In that folder are your user profiles along with several other profiles
- All Users is the profile that everyone uses when logging on - so there may be stuff stored in the Shared Documents/Pictures/etc folders there
- Default User is used to setup profiles - but nothing should be stored in there.
- There's likely an Administrator profile that may or may not have stuff in it
- Check the My Documents folders on the other profiles to see if it contains stuff that you need.

At work we find it simpler to backup the entire Documents and Settings folder if there's sufficient storage space available.

Also, if you use an email client (like Outlook, Outlook Express, Eudora, Thunderbird, etc) you'll want to backup your emails. If you get your email on the web (like from Yahoo, MSN, gMail, etc) then this won't be necessary unless you've downloaded it to your computer.

Also, I've found that some tax/accounting software may not save to your My Documents folders - so if you use that sort of program I'd check and see where it's stored in order to back it up.

Although I'm not familiar with this device, I use one at work from CoolDrives that sounds similar. It has a power adapter that plugs into the device. And, it has 2 USB plugs in the event that the drive needs more power than 1 USB port can provide. It also has a power switch built in. The sequence that I use at work is to leave everything unplugged until I mount the hard drive in the device. Then I connect the external power cord, then I plug in both of the USB ports, then I turn the Power switch to the On position.

As for removing the hard drive - ensure that the laptop is unplugged and the battery has been removed. Handle the hard drive as little as possible when removing it, and if you must hold it, hold it by the sides.

The hard drive may be screwed into a housing when you remove it. If you can use the adapter without taking it out of the housing, then do so - otherwise you'll have to unscrew the housing. Also, some laptop hard drives have adapters on their plugs - so if it doesn't look like an IDE/SATA connector you'll have to remove the adapter. Be careful to pull it straight out or you may damage the plug.

Here's a link to the Dell page for removing the hard drive from the computer: http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/syst...0.htm#wp1130375
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users