Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

This Program Requires A Security Key

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 beccysmum

beccysmum

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:01 PM

Posted 10 July 2008 - 07:26 AM

Hi all

I'm running windows xp pro sp2 on a partitioned intel mac, and have had problems for about a week with a popup message on startup. I thought it was restricted to games purchased from Big Fish Games, but have now discovered it is affecting other programs too (specifically today Dragon Naturally Speaking). Basically I cannot open up some programs because of the following pop up message. Additionally, each time I boot up I have to validate my copy of windows again. It validates ok, then the following pop up appears before I've even tried to open a program.

Heading: Key required

This program requires a security key. If you have one, select OK to enter it. After entering a valid key, you will not be prompted again.

I've run the Avast virus checker, which can't find anything. and I've also downloaded and run windows defender - again with no negative results.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks
Sharon

Edited by beccysmum, 10 July 2008 - 07:35 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,818 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:01 PM

Posted 10 July 2008 - 11:10 AM

Worth a look, related situation: http://64.233.167.104/search?q=cache:pn7xI...;cd=5&gl=us

Edited to overcome bad link post.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 10 July 2008 - 03:54 PM.

#3 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:01 PM

Posted 10 July 2008 - 12:25 PM

You need to determine which program is prompting you for the key, Then, if you saved the case the disk came in, use the key from the case.
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#4 beccysmum

beccysmum
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2008 - 01:57 PM

Worth a look, related situation: [post="http://64.233.167.104/search?q=cache:pn7xIXTZ5DIJ:forums.techarena.in/showthread.php/showthread.php%3Ft%3D722783+This+program+requires+a+security+key.&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=5&gl=us"]Security Key Popups[/post]

Louis

Thanks hamluis, but it looks as thought that's a dead link - when I try to select it I get a message stating the file may have been moved. Can you give me a path/date to it?
Thanks
Sharon

#5 beccysmum

beccysmum
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2008 - 02:13 PM

You need to determine which program is prompting you for the key, Then, if you saved the case the disk came in, use the key from the case.

Hi Garmanma

that's what I thought at the start of all this - it began with Windows messages instructing me thay I'd had major hardware changes and needed to validate Windows. As I'm working on a partitioned mac I tend to use Mac OSX and only go into Windows occasionally, so didn't really take much notice of the message as I was getting in when I needed to, as the validation worked fine.

Next, my friend comes to stay and wants to play on a game I bought quite a while ago from Big Fish Games. I went to work and left her to it, and she rang to say it kept asking her for a key. When I got home I tried, and had the same problem - if you select Yes to enter the security key it brings up a pop up where you have to enter both a name and a key, and whatever you put in they are not recognised (I have valid product keys).

I checked the Big Fish Games website, and they state on there that the error is caused by a major hardware change triggering the validations, and gave me a work round (attached) It worked OK and seemed to do the trick until the next system reboot, when it all started over again. Except now it also includes Dragon Naturally Speaking (speech recognition software). I've tried entering my name and the product key - doesn't work. I tried uninstalling Dragon, but it won't let me. I tried running the Dragon disks through to do a repair - that didn't work either. As no one else seems to have this problem it looks as though I may need to wipe the disk and reinstall everything.

Help!!

Sharon

Edited by beccysmum, 10 July 2008 - 02:39 PM.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,818 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:01 PM

Posted 10 July 2008 - 03:55 PM

Apologies for the link, sometimes they don't post right for me...I edited my original post.

Louis

#7 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:01 PM

Posted 10 July 2008 - 04:20 PM

I tend to use Mac OSX and only go into Windows occasionally

I do not have that experience. I'll search some more
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#8 beccysmum

beccysmum
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2008 - 04:29 PM

Thanks Louis

I'm wading through it as we speak! I'll report back later.

cheers
Sharon

#9 beccysmum

beccysmum
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2008 - 04:44 PM

I tend to use Mac OSX and only go into Windows occasionally

I do not have that experience. I'll search some more

Thanks a lot, Mark. I used xp for years, then discovered osx a couple of years ago. It's good to be able to just go from one to the other, but this only affects the xp partition, not the osx.

Your assistance is very much appreciated:-)

cheers

Sharon

Edited by beccysmum, 10 July 2008 - 04:46 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users