Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

my cd burner suddenly stopped working

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Gina_23

Gina_23

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:36 PM

Posted 12 April 2005 - 10:10 AM

my cd burner suddenly stopped burning cds, playing cds or reading data. It was fine then it stopped. Windows still shows that the CD burner is there however when I put in a Cd it tells me to insert a C :thumbsup: D...what gives? I can hear it making noise but it won't play.

Please help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 twinsdad

twinsdad

• Members
  • 411 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2005 - 10:51 AM

It may have died (something electronic, likely the laser) but still making mechanical noises. The good news is that the CD unit is relatively easy to replace and good basic units can be had for way under $50.00.

But before giving up on the old one, first open the tray and peek in there (a flashlite will help) to see if a foreign object is obvious. It wasn't that long ago that I stuffed a CD in mine with a post-it note attached and the post-it stayed behind :thumbsup: Fortunately, a pair of tweezers got it out without damage. You can also get a buildup of dust bunnies in there and carefully blowing out the unit with a can of compressed air might fix things (don't blow in there with a straw, moisture is not a good thing to put in there). Another thing to try is a "cleaner" disc which can remove a film of crud on the laser/lens (common problem from cigarette smoke). You can buy those CD cleaner-discs for about $12.00 or, better yet, borrow one from a friend.

Good luck and please post back with results or ask for more help. :flowers:
"Love to eat them mousies, mousies what I like to eat; bite they little heads off, nibble on they tiny feet". B. Kliban

#3 Gina_23

Gina_23
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2005 - 03:10 PM

thanks for the great advice. I will try that and get back to you! I know that new cd-burners are easy to install and I may just go that route but will try what you said first.

#4 twinsdad

twinsdad

• Members
  • 411 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2005 - 04:09 PM

First, I forgot to say "Welcome to BC" in my first post. You'll find this a really cool place to get and give help. Don't forget we are all volunteers and sometimes it might take a while to respond.

If you do decide to get a new CD-RW, Newegg is a great place to shop on-line for computer stuff. Their site is here. I just went thru this a year or so ago, found one on the shelf at BestBuy that ended up costing me $23.00 after a mail-in rebate. Good luck.
"Love to eat them mousies, mousies what I like to eat; bite they little heads off, nibble on they tiny feet". B. Kliban

#5 junkdk

junkdk

• Members
  • 345 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2005 - 02:29 AM

Dear Gina,

Twinsdad is correct but may I ask you some personal computer questions in order to help others at this site?

How old is your CD burner?

Do you know what brand it is?

How much use did the CD burner have?

Did you smoke around your computer?

Any or all the questions answered will help others with the same problems you have and will keep the manufacturer's in check.

All information stays at this site for the use of members and guests.

Thanks for your help :thumbsup:,

:flowers: Junkdk
Your Hardware Guide.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users