Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet Connection Problem

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Niniane

Niniane

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:35 PM

Posted 10 July 2008 - 04:09 AM

At home we have a number of computers connected to a wireless router which is in turn connected to a cable modem. My son's laptop is currently registering that it is connected to the wireless network but no pages will load in Internet Explorer and he cannot connect to msn or use anything else that requires an internet connection. All other computers do not have a problem. I tried connecting to the network via an ethernet cable with the same result so I gather the problem is not with the wireless network. I have tried things like uninstalling the network adapter and have also run an antivirus scan using AVG with nothing showing.
Any ideas??

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rowal5555

rowal5555

Just enough info to be armed & dangerous...

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:35 PM

Posted 10 July 2008 - 04:22 AM

Hi.

Simply rebooting fixes a multitude of problems. Has he tried that?

rowal5555 (Rob )                                                             

Avid supporter of Bleeping Computer's
Team 38444

You can help find a cure

#3 Niniane

Niniane
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2008 - 05:28 AM

Three times so far......

#4 rowal5555

rowal5555

Just enough info to be armed & dangerous...

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:35 PM

Posted 10 July 2008 - 07:27 AM

I am groping in the dark here so hope someone with more knowledge will jump in, but what I would do next is go to Tools/Internet Options/Advanced Tab, and under Security - check the box to 'Empty Temporary Internet Files when browser is closed'.

Restart IE and go back to TOOLS/Diagnose Connection Problems.

Don't know if it will fix your problem, but won't do any harm.

(Another alternative of course is to use a decent browser, LOL.  :flowers: FireFox, or my preference at this time, Opera 9.5. :thumbsup:  I simply can't be bothered with IE when these others are just soooo much better).

Good Luck.

Edited by rowal5555, 10 July 2008 - 07:34 AM.

rowal5555 (Rob )                                                             

Avid supporter of Bleeping Computer's
Team 38444

You can help find a cure

#5 Niniane

Niniane
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2008 - 09:05 AM

Hi Rowal,

Thanks so much for your ideas - unfortunately we've tried all that. It's not just IE that isn't working - it's anything requiring an internet connection. I'm wondering if it's some sort of firewall issue but having a look at that (Zone Alarm's version), I can't see any reason for the change which happened suddenly this afternoon.

Thanks anyway!

:-)

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:35 PM

Posted 10 July 2008 - 09:17 AM

There have been recent issues with Windows Update and Zone Alarm. I'd suggest a TEMPORARY test of turning off Zone Alarm to see if you can connect with that system. If so, turn it back on and post back - I'm sure there'll be responses from others about this issue by then.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,411 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:35 PM

Posted 10 July 2008 - 11:21 AM

If you have only one system out of several using the same connection...which has connection problems...I would suspect that either the NIC on that system has gone bad...or that the connection protocols have somehow changed for that system, resulting in a lack of connectivity.

I would first verify that the NIC itself is working properly. To do so, I would go Start/Control Panel/Network & Internet Connections/Network Connections.

Please post exactly what is reflected in that window.

Louis

#8 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2008 - 12:30 PM

After certain updates, my Zone Alarm security settings will be set to high. I set them back to medium and everything's OK
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#9 mme

mme

• Members
  • 400 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2008 - 01:01 PM

ZONE ALARM AND SECURITY PATCH>>>> (KB951748)

This update seems to be the one that conflicts with Zone Alarm

(KB951748)

Your choices are

1 Remove update through Add/remove Programs
2Reset Zone Alarm to medium (security settings)

If you prefer your Zone Alarm setting High instead of Medium
Then remove Security Patch... (KB951748) Through Add/Remove Programs
until the issue has been resolved...............

Edited by mme, 10 July 2008 - 01:02 PM.

#10 Niniane

Niniane
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2008 - 08:40 AM

My son informs me that he tried a system restore to just before the latest update of ZoneAlarm and that seems to have worked. However, when he restarted the computer he had the same issue. Again, using the system restore worked. I'm thinking that because he used the system restore, when he restarted the latest update was downloaded again??? Does this make sense? He has turned off automatic downloads now. I will tell him to try changing the setting to the medium level and pass the other suggestions on to him. I'm still wondering why only his computer has the issue?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users