Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help My Moms Computer Is "crazy"

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 ashlee_brooks

ashlee_brooks

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:59 PM

Posted 09 July 2008 - 08:32 PM

My mom got a computer from my aunt and she didn't give her the xp cd nor does she have it any longer. I really need to reformat the computer but that is impossible without the cd. If I download a key finder and get the windows xp serial number can I use any windows xp to reformat, and can I bee 100% sure that the key finder with give me the correct key?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:01:59 PM

Posted 09 July 2008 - 09:22 PM

Ashlee, You can get the key by using Belarc advisor which can be found here:

http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html

The key will be under Software Licenses. My suggestion is that you copy the key, paste it to Notepad, and print it out.

You can use a borrowed XP disk and your key-just make sure you use the correct version.
If the installed version is Home, you must use a Home disk. And if Pro, obviously you would need a Pro disk.

There are other programs which will do the same thing as Belarc-others can supply the names of those programs.

#3 component

component

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:59 PM

Posted 10 July 2008 - 12:10 PM

that is not entirely true depending on the xp disc your recieve sinse there are so many in circulation the cd for your current version is not gauranteed to work. Infact you would prolly wanna make sure its within the same service pack release at least. If it is a brand name computer usually u can order a new disc for a fee somtimes free (if you complain and say you never recieved one) wich will probally be your best bet seeing as you will have one in your possesion after that.

Component General Inc. - Resource for resistors, terminations and attenuators

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users