Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Bad Motherboard. I Think

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Jkirch

Jkirch

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:50 AM

Posted 09 July 2008 - 08:23 PM

I have an HP m7690n, Here are specs from the HP website.

Hardware
Base processor
Core 2 Duo © E6400 2.13 GHz

1066 MHz front side bus
Socket 775

Chipset
P965
Motherboard

Manufacturer: Asus
Motherboard Name: P5BW-LA
HP/Compaq motherboard name: Basswood-UL8E

I cant get it to boot up and I think the motherboard is the problem. I have unplugged everything from the PSU and tried plugging everything back in one at a time. When I plug in the motherboard the light on the PSU blinks ( its solid on everything else). Nothing else happens. I have tried to use a different PSU but the same thing happens so I don't think it is bad.

1. Is there any other way to know for a fact that it is a bad motherboard?

2. Could you recommend a new motherboard that will work for me, maybe a better one since I have to buy one anyway?

Thanks for helping me out.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,612 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:50 AM

Posted 09 July 2008 - 11:07 PM

Hi Jkirch, and welcome to BleepingComputer,

Is this a new build? Make sure that the motherboard is isolated from the case, if there is a short between the two this will happen. Are you using the standoffs that came with the motherboard?

Edited by garmanma, 10 July 2008 - 11:49 AM.
substituted"motherboard" for "case"

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 Jkirch

Jkirch
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2008 - 01:16 AM

Hi dc3, Thanks.

No, its not a new build and I have not removed the motherboard from the case yet. I will double check and look for any shorts. I don't know a lot about this yet, but if the standoffs are the same as spacers then yes. The motherboard is in the same position as it came out of the box. Everything else I have removed from the computer case.

#4 Jkirch

Jkirch
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2008 - 09:42 PM

Looks like I am going to buy a new motherboard, could someone suggest a new one that may be a little better that will work with all the hardware I have?

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,898 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2008 - 09:45 AM

...and what hardware might that be?

Do you intend to use that same vendor (HP) to replace the motherboard?

Same CPU or different one?

SATA or PATA drives...and how many?

RAID configuration desireable or not?

Video card or onboard video?

Ditto for sound?

And so on...

Louis

Edit: Before I bought a new motherboard...I'd have to be totally convinced that a new one would ameliorate the existing situation...and I'd take the system to a local shop for a look-see.

Edited by hamluis, 13 July 2008 - 09:47 AM.

#6 Jkirch

Jkirch
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2008 - 07:17 PM

Sorry, I am kinda new to this stuff.
This is all the product specs

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/documen...1568&dlc=en

Vendor doesn't matter to me, if there is a better one than HP I'll go with that.

Same CPU

SATA drives.

RAID doesn't matter to me.

No onboard video card.

Integrated sound.

I just thought someone with a little more experience than me could look at these specs and give a quick recommendation on a better motherboard or tell me to stick to the same one.

#7 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:50 AM

Posted 13 July 2008 - 08:03 PM

Keep in mind that you will not be able to just take the hard drive and plug it in and have XP run for you. Using the restore disks provided by HP will not work either. You will have to buy a Windows XP CD

$80 is the going price For a replacement
http://www.itwinkle.com/hpandcodepcs1.html

Edited by garmanma, 13 July 2008 - 08:14 PM.

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#8 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,116 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:50 AM

Posted 14 July 2008 - 04:07 PM

Taking a quick look at newegg.com for socket 775 boards there are 310 to choose from. Is there a budget you had in mind? Also going with the recommendation from Hamluis You may want to have the motherboard tested to make sure its the problem. Most times the money you spend testing is the same as what it would cost to send the good board back if that's not the problem (shipping + restocking fee's). Then you would have to spend the money to find out whats actually wrong with the computer and buy the correct part. Some shops even credit the bench fee towards a purchase if you buy the new part at the shop.
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#9 Jkirch

Jkirch
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2008 - 10:06 PM

Thanks for the advice. I will probably buy the same motherboard because I don't want to buy another windows OS.

I am pretty sure it is the motherboard that is the problem because I have tested every other part, except the memory, in a different computer and it all works fine.

Thanks again everyone for all the advice, I'll let you know what happens.

#10 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,612 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:50 AM

Posted 14 July 2008 - 10:35 PM

Let me see if I can explain what Mark eluded to with your hdd. If you take a hdd that has a windows operating system installed on it that has been in one computer and then install it as a master drive in another computer there is a good chance that the operating system is going to fail. There are IDs related to the motherboard chipset that are recognized by the registry, and when you introduce a new motherboard with a different chipset it sees that IDs as well, and this confuses the operating system to the point that it can fail.

There are some things to try that may work for moving the hdd, please read this article.

To rule out the RAM try downloading a running Memtest86, the longer you let it run, the more accurate the results will be.

Edited by dc3, 14 July 2008 - 11:05 PM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users