Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Microsoft Malicious Software Removal Problem

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 JeanRich

JeanRich

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:40 PM

Posted 09 July 2008 - 03:33 PM

I have a Windows automatic update showing to be installed. When I do, I cannot connect to the internet. I Did system restore and it worked fine, but the update icon is back. I installed it again and the same thing happened and I again did a system restore. That's the point I'm at now. The update has something to do with the Malicious Software Removal tool.
How do I get rid of this update? And how do I prevent automatic updates?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Nigel_95

Nigel_95

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:40 AM

Posted 09 July 2008 - 03:50 PM

I do not know of an answer to this. I am posting to say I too had this problem today (twice too), and reversed it with system restore as you did. I have XP SP3 and use the latest version of Firefox as my browser (though I couldn't connect with IE either).

Having added the above, I notice there is another thread on this with more helpful answers (Loss Of Connectivity With Kb951748 And Avira Antivir, Just reporting loss of internet access after update install).
Probably best if you look there before adding to this thread.

Regards,
Nigel

Edited by Nigel_95, 09 July 2008 - 04:02 PM.

#3 JeanRich

JeanRich
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:40 PM

Posted 09 July 2008 - 04:47 PM

Thanks so much. I too use FireFox 3, but don't have service pack 3. I do use ZoneAlarm, though, and it seems from the other post, that could be the problem. I guess I'll go to the ZA forum.
Thanks again.

#4 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:40 PM

Posted 09 July 2008 - 05:51 PM

According to the following link, Zone Alarm is the problem.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-10789_3-9986625-...g=2547-1_3-0-20

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users