Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Impossible To Remove Antivirus 2008

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 bigjohnb

bigjohnb

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:26 PM

Posted 09 July 2008 - 01:55 PM

Hello:
i was infected by Antivirus 2008 Pro a few days ago and found this site. i downloaded the instructions as well as Malwarebytes, CCleaner, Spywareblaster and Spyhunter to a usb thumb drive in an effort to try fixes that were described on this site on the malware removal forums and a moderater named Simon V. the problems i'm having is that my computer is so slow now, that every mouse click literally takes around 15-20 minutes to respond (for instance, to just access my thumb drive took about an hour and a half last night), but mostly my computer just gets frozen. i can not access task manager because an error messages pops up saying that it has been disabled. my windows explorer icon is missing (as are about half of my other desktop icons), and i can not access the all programs feature from the start menu because it no longer exists. my wireless connection no longer works and i can not get on the internet. i have finally been able to copy the above programs from the thumb drive to my desktop, and i've successfully run CCleaner. none of the other programs ever launch and my computer freezes. the only thing that i have found to do anything is running Windows Defender, which takes an entire day to run through a full scan. once the scan is completed, it says my system is running normally, and there are usually 27-35 internet expolorer windows that have been automatically opened along with corresponding windows system alert pop ups telling me to scan my system. all of the internet explorer windows are trying to load a home page for me to purchase PC Cleaner. after trying to get through some of this for literally entire days (i start a windows defender scan in the morning, and come home after a 10 hour work day and it will still be scanning...), it seems that my system is back to being completely mired in the virus processes that freeze up my computer and i'm at square one. so my questions are these: should i be clicking on any of the pop ups, or should i leave them alone completely? how can i run Malwarebytes or Spywareblaster when i can't even get them to launch on my computer? if i were to just purchase the product that the virus is pointing me too, will all of this go away? how can i fix this if i can't even launch any of the programs that the forums tell me to run? is my system completely ruined and should i just reinstall windows and start over, or is this correctable? i'd like to avoid scrubbing my hard drive, reinstalling and starting over, but if i have to, i have to... any thoughts about this and what i can do?
thanks.
John

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Richard Fu

Richard Fu

• Members
  • 135 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:26 PM

Posted 09 July 2008 - 08:16 PM

I'd just recommended to backup your data, reformat and reinstall Windows.

#3 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:26 PM

Posted 09 July 2008 - 10:12 PM

Starting over with a clean install at this point would probably be the best idea, however there are a few points to remember that would help you keep from letting your computer get in such a state again.

Read the guides, there's a wealth of information here
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#4 fireman4it

fireman4it

Bleepin' Fireman

• Malware Response Team
  • 13,505 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:26 PM

Posted 09 July 2008 - 10:17 PM

have u tried running in safe mode and running malwarebytes or other malware removasl tools?

" Extinguishing Malware from the world"

The Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal forum is very busy. If I'm helping you and I've not posted back within 24 hrs., send a PM with your topic link. Thank you.

ALL OTHER HELP REQUESTS VIA THE PM SYSTEM WILL BE IGNORED. The Forums are there for a reason!
Thanks-

userbar_eis_500.gif

If I have helped you, consider making a donation to help me continue the fight against Malware! Just click btn_donate_LG.gif

#5 bigjohnb

bigjohnb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:26 PM

Posted 10 July 2008 - 10:41 AM

while i appreciate the "reformat and reinstall windows" idea, i really want to use that as a last resort. i've had to do that before and even though it works, it's a major pain. so last night i went into safe mode and after trying three times (i got a black screen two times...) i was able to run CCleaner. when i rebooted, my system is about 75% better. i still don't have half of my icons, still no access to task manager or all programs or the run command, but i only get two pop ups now: the fake security warning and the fake windows notification. no more constantly trying to launch internet explorer and my computer doesn't seem to be mired in thick mud. mind you, this is just the initial feeling i have after running CCleaner in safe mode. i also tried opening Malwarebytes and it still won't launch, so i'm thinking i will download it again (maybe i got a corrupted version?) and try to run Malwarebytes in safe mode tonight. wish me luck and i'll keep you posted.

#6 Richard Fu

Richard Fu

• Members
  • 135 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:26 PM

Posted 10 July 2008 - 10:56 AM

I think you should use Malwarebytes in normal mode because that it will not work that good in safe mode. But you could try a different one like Super Anti Spyware.

#7 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:26 PM

Posted 10 July 2008 - 12:30 PM

SAS from safe mode, download the installer to a usb drive and see if you can install on the infected computer

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...mp;#entry634693

ATF cleaner does not work right with vista

http://www.superantispyware.com/definitions.html

the updated definitions for SAS

good luck, a clean install is not much harder than a disinfection, sometimes it's quicker

for XP sdfix is a powerful program that should install in safe mode

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/131299/how-to-use-sdfix/

print the directions, it's complicated

Edited by DaChew, 10 July 2008 - 12:33 PM.

Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users