Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Loss Of Connectivity With Kb951748 And Avira Antivir

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 cilypudi

cilypudi

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:56 PM

Posted 09 July 2008 - 11:53 AM

I installed the updates this morning, then after reboot found I had
no internet access. So went through all the regulars, reset the modem and
used ISP virtual agent, still no access.

Finally resorted to doing a System Restore. that worked. Then get online to
search around about the latest updates, and see numerous threads related
to Windows Update KB951748 + ZoneAlarm = lost internet access.

Just reporting I had the same problem and I'm running
Avira's Antivir and Look n' Stop firewall.

I have not searched specifically for a solution to this. I see one here for ZoneAlarm,
but I will delay re-installing the updates until I can get more info related to
the Antivir program. Maybe someone can add to this thread.
If I find any info, I will add it.

peace
CilyPudi
The Muses manifest between the Mouse and the Chair.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Peter Bennett

Peter Bennett

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:56 PM

Posted 09 July 2008 - 12:08 PM

There's been a lot of chatter about this one. The MS update KB951748 interferes with ZoneAlarm. Happened a desktop and a laptop this morning. I lost connectivity - or should I say I a strong connection but nothing on either machines could access the internet. I could ping the server, packages sent and received OK, etc. But nothing could get through. The problem is definitely KB951748.

You'll find information on the ZoneAlarm forum here: http://forums.zonealarm.org/zonelabs/board...essage.id=18678.

The solution is to either uninstall KB951748, or change the setting in Zonealarm. If you want to change the setting go to Firewall > Main and set Internet Zone Security to Medium.

Worked for me on both machines.

Regards,

PB
PeterB

#3 cilypudi

cilypudi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2008 - 12:15 PM

I'm not running ZoneAlarm.
I use Avira Antivir. That's why I started the thread, to
see if anyone had a work around for it.
So far all I can find is in Chinese.
Yea, I see alot of help relating to ZoneAlarm, but I
need Avira Antivir solution.
thanks for replying though.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,568 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2008 - 01:51 PM

FWIW: I run Avira PE Classic and had no trouble with that update when it first appeared.

I use Sunbelt's free firewall, not ZA.

Louis

#5 bluesjunior

bluesjunior

• Members
  • 761 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:56 PM

Posted 09 July 2008 - 04:37 PM

I use Avira Free and Comodo Firewall Pro updated this morning without any problems.
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3, CPU: AMD Athlon II X3 450 Processor, Memory: OCZ 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1333MHz,Graphics: PowerColor HD 5750 1GB GDDR5,
PSU: Corsair 430W CX PSU 4x SATA 1x PCI-E, Hard Drive:Samsung SpinPoint F3 500GB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 16MB Cache.

#6 Hoopoe

Hoopoe

• Members
  • 119 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2008 - 04:50 PM

It affected me too. After installing KB951748 I lost my Internet connection. After a long chat with a Virgin provider advisor he determined everything was fine and the fault lay with the Windows update. Semi-helpful. In the last hour I've been fiddling and turned off Zone Alarm and turned on the Windows Firewall, lo and behold my queued emails arrived and I am back on-line. Not ideal but I think I will do a clean install of ZA tomorrow.

Lots of refs on it via Google - Zone Alarm says - We are investigating the issue with the MS update KB951748. For the time being we suggest you uninstall KB951748 until the issue has been resolved. We will post when we have more information.

I tried uninstalling KB951748 but it doesn't remove the problem the damage is done.

Hope this helps a little.

Edited by Hoopoe, 09 July 2008 - 04:50 PM.

#7 cilypudi

cilypudi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2008 - 05:06 PM

Thanks hamluis for your response about having Antivir.
I'm still gonna hold off on reinstalling the updates until i get more info.
I posted in the Avira Forum, maybe their support people will respond in some way yea or nay.

But I'm pretty positive it was the update. I installed it first thing when I turned
the PC on to get it over with. Then everything was back to normal when I did
the System Restore.

But know what? Your reply is helpful, because maybe it's not my Antivir
that's conflicting with the update, hmmmm?
I just took that for granted for some reason,
I guess because I saw all the ZoneAlarm problems
DUHHh!! haha, stupid me, (I hadn't had me coffee yet)
guess I need to consider something else!

So thanks again for that reply :-)

Edited by cilypudi, 09 July 2008 - 05:07 PM.

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,568 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2008 - 05:38 PM

Have you taken a look in Event Viewer for possible related, enlightening errors?

How To Use Event Viewer - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/40108/how-to-use-event-viewer/

Louis

#9 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:56 PM

Posted 09 July 2008 - 05:55 PM

What happened with my daughter's computer was the security settings in Zone Alarm were set to high. I reset it to medium and it worked
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#10 cilypudi

cilypudi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2008 - 06:50 PM

Oh, thanks hamluis, forgot about the Event Viewer.
I just checked all through it and I see where the updates were installed,
and see the "prompt to reboot" event,
but after that when I had lost internet access, nothing unusual all the
way up to where I see the System Restore event was completed sucessfully.
Nothing unusual or I would have posted a screenshot of the error code.

Oh well, I think I'll just wait until tomorrow and attempt another install
of the updates. maybe they'll fix any bugs by then.
Don't want to leave the thread hanging, but I'm doing things right now, don't want
to loose my connection again.
But just fyi, the only things I got running in realtime is

Avira Antivir
Look n' Stop firewall
Spywareguard

I'll just try a reinstall tomorrow
thanks for your replies.

#11 cilypudi

cilypudi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2008 - 07:32 PM

BINGO

I just found it. It's a conflict with the Look 'n' Stop firewall.
Found it at Wilders Security

http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=214468

It is some long, so I'll just post a portion here just FYI to complete the thread
in case someone else is searching for the info:

MS Security Update KB951748 of July 8, 2008, breaks Look 'n' Stop

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The newest Microsoft Security Update, KB951748 of yesterday, July 8, which specifically changes many settings and files to do with DNS lookups, has broken Look'n'Stop version 2.06 (and possibly all other 3rd party software firewalls - certainly ZoneAlarm is one and Agnitum another). Microsoft is aware of this issue and states that it is up to the third-party firewall developers to code a work-around for compatibility issues with the update.

Specifically, with "Internet Filtering" enabled in Look'n'Stop, after the security update domain names like www.google.com will not resolve in browsers, nor will the ping command in the command prompt work to resolve the domain name. However, direct IP numbers entered in browser address bars and the command prompt will work. As soon as "internet filtering" is disabled in "Look'n'Stop", the issue disappears even while L'n'S is still running. The Windows Firewall (bless it) works as advertised.

Can someone suggest a quick rule change or fix that would allow L'n'S to work with the new update?

RESPONSE:

Hi,

I've reproduced the issue, and the problem is a the port range for the local port has changed for DNS connections. It seems it is no longer 1024-5000 but 49152-65535 (like under Vista).

To fix this, you have to edit the "UDP : Authorize name resolution (DNS)" rule.
Two possibilities:
- either you have 1024 and 5000 mentioned for that rule, and replace them by 49152 and 65535
- or you have "In local" for the criteria, and then replace it with "In range A-B" and enter just below 49152 and 65535 as well.

If it works, don't forget to save the updated ruleset.
Otherwise check the log again to see what is blocked now.

Regards,

Ha, yea regards, I was barking up the wrong tree entirely.
Need to start checking my own stuff :-)

#12 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,568 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2008 - 09:29 PM

Glad you resolved it, happy computing :thumbsup:.

Louis

#13 Hoopoe

Hoopoe

• Members
  • 119 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2008 - 01:36 AM

Microsoft is aware of this issue and states that it is up to the third-party firewall developers to code a work-around for compatibility issues with the update.

They are just unbelievably arrogant at times :thumbsup: , no wonder Bill Gates was so unpopular.

#14 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:56 PM

Posted 10 July 2008 - 06:56 AM

If you put bad gas in your car, do you blame the car manufacturer for it? It's the same thing with the OS, if you put a program that doesn't comply with the guidelines in your system - why should you blame Microsoft?
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#15 cilypudi

cilypudi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2008 - 09:52 AM

Yea, but that's like if Texaco makes a lot of gas for Toyota cars and has it stored up, but suddenly Toyota modifies all its engines to run on some different formula entirely, so all the Texaco gas doesn't work any longer. And they do it overnight with no warning!

I suppose technically Microsoft doesn't have an obligation to warn anyone of the changes, and you have to be quickly adaptable in the software world. But considering Microsoft has got about 70% of the OS market, don't you think it would have been "nice and considerate" of them to at least have mentioned that the coming update was going to change the important DNS lookup files, and might completely break some major firewall softwares? Surely some programmer recognized this potential.

Nah, that reeks of some unempathetic arrogance, very "user unfriendly" in the cyberworld. pain in the arse for alot of users. Microsoft doesn't care who they inconvenience, just want to take over Yahoo and make XP obsolete somehow. But I respect their concern for the shareholders.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users