Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Zonealarm Blocking Outbound Legitimate Traffic

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 sandbox

sandbox

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:05 PM

Posted 09 July 2008 - 11:29 AM

I have used the free ZoneAlarm basic firewall for years and never observed this behavior -- it is blocking outbound legitimate traffic. For example, Mozilla Firefox access to the Internet is set to "allow" under Program Control. Still, I get the ZoneAlarm Security Alert that says "the firewall has blocked Internet access to [whatever site] [IP address] (HTTP) from your computer [TCP Flags: S]". These are legitimate sites like cnn.com. When I change the "Internet Zone Security" level from High to Medium, then my computer is allowed access to the Internet. But I don't want ZoneAlarm to be on Medium, I want it on High. Like I said, I've never seen this before and I don't think I have a virus (just scanned with McAfee). Can anyone help? I'm thinking there may be a simple solution but I just haven't found it. I'm running the latest version, 7.0.473.000.

Edited by sandbox, 09 July 2008 - 11:32 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Mariana_X

Mariana_X

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:05 PM

Posted 09 July 2008 - 12:57 PM

Hello Everyone!!

I came in to ask for help but apparently I have got a very similar problem than Sandbox...

I Installed Zone Alarm yesterday night since my McAfee was about to expire and I wanted to try something new, Zone Alarm was recommended to me and I used to have it installed in my computer at work and never gave me any problems.

So I installed yesterday and It worked beautifully!! Didn't give me any problems at all and I was very happy!!

Then, I turned off the computer and headed to bed, and now this morning, everything seems to be working fine except I cannot open Internet Explorer nor Firefox!!

I know I have internet because I also have Lingo Phone service and this does work, everything else in the computer has been working fine except anything to do with internet, (I even tried using MSN and it wont start). And I don't get any alert from Zone Alarm.. just the same ol' "page cannot be found"

I checked the permissions just like Sandbox said and these programs are both allowed... My security in internet is raised to "High" as well.. but will it hurt my computer if I change to medium?

I also noticed:

vsmon.exe running
MRT.exe

I know Vsmon.exe is related to Zone Alarm but can't find more info about it (the computer I'm using is ridiculously SLOW, Every time I want to open new page It gets stuck for some minutes... I'm sorry :thumbsup: )

Anyways thank you so very much!!

(I'm sorry, Relatively new user... I dont know if it was ok for me to intrude in Sandbox post... is this ok or should I write new one? I just figured is very similar problem, please let me now)

#3 desmondkiu

desmondkiu

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:05 AM

Posted 09 July 2008 - 03:00 PM

hi
i am also experiencing the same problem as sandbox
one more thing i noticed is that this only happened after an automatic update on windows xp
after the update finished installing a window popped up to say something on security patch
right after that none of my programs can access the internet under high internet zone setting
only after changing it to medium then can i access the internet

#4 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:05 PM

Posted 09 July 2008 - 06:03 PM

Check out this link.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-10789_3-9986625-...g=2547-1_3-0-20

#5 sandbox

sandbox
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:05 PM

Posted 11 July 2008 - 07:23 AM

frankp316 - thanks for the link, and thanks everyone for your replies.

Everyone's probably heard, but in case you haven't, ZoneAlarm put out a new version on their website. Installing that will take care of the problem caused by the recent Windows update.

http://download.zonealarm.com/bin/free/pre...ccessIssue.html

#6 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:05 PM

Posted 11 July 2008 - 07:30 AM

Zone alarm has patched the problem...

http://download.zonealarm.com/bin/free/pre...ccessIssue.html
Regards,

Alan.