Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Pc Does Not Respond After Troubleshooting

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 gmoreno76

gmoreno76

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:54 PM

Posted 09 July 2008 - 09:20 AM

:thumbsup: I am working on an OptiPlex GX620 which is out of warranty. I have done the following:

- Removed attached devices
- External devices not causing failure POST
- Removed hard drive and modular bay devices
- Removed memory and checked for beep
- No beep code after the memory is removed
- Cleared the NVRAM Using the RTCRST Jumper on the Dell Desktop or Workstation
- No memory beep code is heard after clearing the NVRAM
- Swapped current PSU with a Known-Good Power Supply
- No beep
- The Power Button LED is solid amber (yellow) after all attempts above

I believe the motherboard is gone but I could be wrong. Any other suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,853 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:54 PM

Posted 09 July 2008 - 10:17 AM

Well...not getting a beep code may not necessarily be a problem...does the system boot at all?

Can you access the BIOS?

Do you get any video display at all?

I had a situation with new motherboard, new ram, new PS, fans working...but no video signal getting through. Bent pins on CPU were responsible.

Louis

#3 gmoreno76

gmoreno76
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2008 - 10:45 AM

At one point the system did boot up and I got "Floppy diskette seek failure time chip counter 2 failed. Strike F1 to continue or F2 to run setup" I was never able to select either the keyboard was not responding. I added a PS/2 and tried again and it worked but the computer froze and never recovered. This is when I did the steps in my previous post.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,853 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2008 - 12:07 PM

OK, thanks :thumbsup:.

Take a look at http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/syst...en/ug/codes.htm, in particular the error focusing on the "timer chip counter 2 failed".

If you've already gone through the suggested procedures, let me know.

Since the system is not currently booting, we can (temporarily) forget about running Dell diagnostics :flowers:.

The one common item which I know can trigger CMOS/BIOS problems is...the CMOS battery. I would take a wild shot at replacing it, whether it needs it or not...it's an inexpensive item which can cause a system to behave very strangely.

I'd say that your system is behaving strangely :trumpet:.

CMOS Battery Replacement - http://www.liverepair.com/encyclopedia/art...cmosreplace.asp

If this brings no relief, I'll have to punt and advise you to wait for inputs from others.

Louis

#5 gmoreno76

gmoreno76
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2008 - 01:38 PM

Yes, I had already tried to replace the battery. The PC powers up but the LCD light is a steady Yellow (amber) color. Nothing really happens just the CPU and PSU fan going. I am beginning to think it could be the motherboard but I could be wrong. I greatly appreciate your assistance.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,853 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2008 - 02:32 PM

Well...my last suggestion will be to take a look at the following links:

No POST - No Video - http://support.gateway.com/s/Checklists/BP...007050376.shtml

troubleshooting No Beep No Video - The PC Guide Discussion Forums - http://www.pcguide.com/vb/showthread.php?t=39685

Good luck...someone with more suggestions will probably come along after work is over for the many :thumbsup:.

Louis

#7 gmoreno76

gmoreno76
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2008 - 02:30 PM

Appreciate your feedback. I'm going to take the system to a tech shop and have the motherboard and CPU tested. I think I have tried everything I could.

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,853 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2008 - 04:11 PM

Sounds good...that's what I would up doing in my situation :thumbsup:.

Otherwise, I'd probably still be trying to figure it before I threw it out :flowers:.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users