Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My Computer Can't Scan My External Hard Disk

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 daight

daight

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:16 PM

Posted 09 July 2008 - 09:02 AM

Hi,Im new here,and im a newbie for computer thing,

My computer can't scan my external hard disk.Recently my hard disk have been auto-disconnecting,i did not bother,i just switch off the hard disk and switch on back.and when i did,it work,but after awhile,theres a error.
I cant remember the sentence but it roughly mean that 'failed to copy(or overwrite) G:\%mft ' and it will just disconnect again.
and when i switch off and on again,the 'safety remove hardware' will appeared,my device manager will state that theres another drive,when i click the properties of the drive,the status there write 'This device is working properly.
' but i cannot see any drive besides my C&D drive.and after awhile,the 'safety remove hardware' will be gone and my device manager will say that there is no other drive.
And when the 'safety remove hardware' is still there,90% of the time my explorer.exe will be not responding.
i tried to plug it in directly in my computer,but when i do so,my whole computer will be not responding.
can my external hard disk still be fixed? :thumbsup:

Sorry my english not so good.

Edited by daight, 09 July 2008 - 09:22 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,840 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:16 AM

Posted 09 July 2008 - 09:27 AM

Hi :thumbsup:, don't worry about language here...patience counts more.

First question: When you say that the external disk has been disconnecting...does that mean that (initially) it's visible in My Computer...but later it disappears from My Computer?

Second question: Did you check all connections when these "disconnections" occurred?

Do me a favor...connect the external drive (properly), turn it on...and write down any error message that appears onscreen relating to said drive.

Third question: Is your external drive a regular hard drive which you put into an enclosure...or is it a store-bought external drive in a sealed enclosure?

Fourth question: How many partitions are on your system...and what partition letters are assigned each?

Louis

#3 daight

daight
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2008 - 11:22 AM

1st answer: Yes

2nd answer: erm what connection? sorry i don't get it (im a computer newbie). i have checked that i have plugged it in correctly.i have tried plug my mp3 in,my mp3 is fine.only my hard disk have this error. hope this is the answer you want.

Now it doesnt show any message.Just disconnect straight away. Sorry when the message appeared i did not write down :thumbsup:

3rd answer: yes it is a external hard disk with a casing. by the way what is a sealed enclosure?(sorry for asking simple question :I )

4rd answer : normally there are 2 partitions , namely C and D. There will be 6 partition if my hard disk is working ( C,D,E,F,G and H)

When it have the error and the drive is visible, theres only 3 ( C,D and G )

my hard disk is formated into 4 partitions.

The error message is like the same when you tried to copy files into your external drive and your drive disconnected halfway through it. But the file name is %mft. I don't remember having this file in my external drive or my computer.

Hope it answers your question.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,840 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2008 - 12:27 PM

Thanks for the responses, you covered everything I wanted to know then.

Explanation: An external hard drive has at least 4 connection points, in my experience.

a. Power cord to the external drive's power supply.

b. Connection between power supply and drive enclosure.

c. The internal connection between the drive and the connection housing of the enclosure. If the enclosure is one bought by the user, then he/she has to attach the drive itself inside the enclosure before it can be used. If the enclosure is sealed, then it's not easy for the user to ever replace the hard drive inside (which is nothing but another hard drive, just like your system boot drive).

d. USB connection from drive enclosure to computer.

From personal experience, I know that unformatted partitions/drives may disappear on occasion...but you are sure that you formatted/partitioned and I'm pretty sure also, since you have multiple partitions (rather than one big partition on the drive).

When you go to Disk Management (Start/Run...type diskmgmt.msc, hit OK), is the external drive shown in the lower section? If shown, are all 4 partitions shown? Are sizes accurate...is the status for each "healthy"?

Thanks.

Louis

#5 daight

daight
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2008 - 12:57 PM

I only saw my C&D drive in my Disk Management...

My External Hard Disk is making some sort of high pitch voice like beep which last constantly and wont go off.
(The beep sound is like beeeeeeeeeEeeeeEeeeeeeEeeeep[hope you can understand what i trying to show] ) the sound isnt loud though.

When my hard disk is fine.it doesnt have this sound and it is quiet.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,840 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2008 - 03:02 PM

Strange...not good.

What is the model and who is the manufacturer of your external drive?

Is there a fan on your external drive?

Louis

#7 daight

daight
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2008 - 06:01 PM

Im not sure how to see the model...
so i put down all possible 'model-looking-sentences'

Seagate
Barracuda 7200.10
S/N: 5QH0F0JM
ST3400620A
Firmware: 3.AAE

Hope it helps

#8 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:16 AM

Posted 09 July 2008 - 07:44 PM

That model Seagate has quite a few negative reviews. Supposedly it has a prettyhigh failure rate

Edited by garmanma, 10 July 2008 - 07:20 AM.

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,840 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2008 - 09:42 PM

Is there no model/manufacturer on the hard drive enclosure itself?

Can you remove the hard drive...from the enclosure...and connect it (temporarily) directly to your system?

Louis

#10 daight

daight
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2008 - 12:54 AM

@garmanma, I didn't know it. The shopkeeper told me that that harddisk is good so i brought it .
where do you check about those hardware review? :thumbsup:

@louis,i brought the enclosure and hard disk seperately.
if you mean connect the hard disk directly into my computer.i have done so. but when it (sort of) connected,my whole computer will be not responding until i pluck out the hard disk.
My hard disk enclosure manufacturer/model is ROCK(think so)/HD2-U2 respectively if you want to know.

Edited by daight, 10 July 2008 - 06:13 AM.

#11 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,840 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2008 - 12:05 PM

OK.

Sometimes...when connecting a drive which has been in an enclosure...you must change the jumper setting on the drive in order to attach it directly to the system.

Take a look at the drive, there should be an illustration on it depicting jumper settings.

I would set all of my drive settings to Cable Select...attach the drive in question...and reboot.

Jumper settings for drives using enclosures vary...some enclosures want Master, some want Slave. The instructions which came with the enclosure usually spell out what is necessary. What jumper setting were you using with the drive in the USB enclosure?

Lack of a proper jumper setting causes drive recognition problems for XP.

http://www.seagate.com/ww/v/index.jsp?loca...000dd04090aRCRD

Louis

#12 daight

daight
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2008 - 12:07 AM

Sorry...i have tried the read the link again and again but i still don't know what's Jumper =_=

#13 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:16 AM

Posted 11 July 2008 - 07:36 AM

Posted Image
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#14 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,840 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2008 - 07:36 AM

A jumper is just a very small piece of black (although they don't have to be black) material that is attached at the end of PATA/IDE hard drives.

http://www.mysuperpc.com/hdu/jumper_pins.shtml

Where are the instructions that came with your hard drive enclosure?

Louis

#15 daight

daight
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2008 - 01:17 PM

there is er...no illustration on my drive that depicting jumper setting.
my jumper setting is
The : is the pin. The [:] is the pin that have the jumper.
: : : [:]
[metal plate below] something like that.

Edited by daight, 11 July 2008 - 01:17 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users