Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is my firewall enough protection

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Lyn

Lyn

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:12 AM

Posted 12 April 2005 - 02:15 AM

After doinng four factory reinstalling, I realized my Linksys firewall wasnt enabled automatically. But now my firewall is diffinately enabled. I read that XP's firewall comes from the SP1a installation package.
Im aware SP1 comes with much more but for now I want to know your expert advice if I can make do with XP'S firewall?
If not, then I need help in detecting why I can not manually update. The update page says ''this may take time''..... but not at thing happens not even an error.

I'm leary because I am a novice and not familar with comprehending Micrsofts explainations and instructions of SP1a. I installed this about 6 months ago, only to feel lost when I lost my Internet connection. Even if I had Microsoft's instructions for setting up the firewall I'm sure Id be frustrated & lost.. And there are pieces I read in this forum, about disconnecting and reconnecting my modem after installation.
Sincerely,
Classy

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 stidyup

stidyup

• Members
  • 641 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2005 - 02:52 AM

Sounds like you have a virus.

Create a hijack this log and post it here

How_to_submit_a_Hijackthis_Log

If you have a friend who has broadband get them to download you the full Windows Service Pack 2 install file as you need this or if you work for a company ask the IT dept if they will put it on a CD for you. Before you install this file you need to make sure your PC is virus free.

#3 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:12 PM

Posted 12 April 2005 - 04:27 AM

Lyn (Classy) - I don't know the Linksys firewall you use, but there are some comments I would make:
  • You only need, or want, one active firewall in your PC.
  • The Windows XP firewall is very simple to operate. It's either on or off. It is installed automatically with one of the service packs as you said.
  • There are excellent FREE, downloadable firewalls available on the internet -ZoneAlarm is one - see the tutorial section of this site for good advice on keeping your computer safe.
    Here's the ZoneAlarm link: http://www.zonelabs.com/
  • The most important thing for you to have on your system is a fully up-to-date anti-virus program and anti-spyware programs. You can also run an online anti-virus program to scan your system and remove problems.
Finally, follow the instructions in this tutorial:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/4_S...ware-tut80.html
- then, if you need to, you will be ready to post a HijackThis log as stidyup suggested.

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#4 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2005 - 01:01 PM

I will only add that the XP firewall will only check incomming packets, and ignores any outgoing ones (so malware can "call home" without any interference); you should, consequently, turn off the Windows Firewall, and replace it. There are several good, free firewalls available, such as ZoneAlarm or SygatePersonal Firewall.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users