Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Transferring Drivers To New Hd

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 yethPC

yethPC

• Members
  • 365 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:00 PM

Posted 09 July 2008 - 04:01 AM

Hi,

I would like to seek help on how to solely transfer just the drivers from an old hd to new one.

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,391 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:00 PM

Posted 09 July 2008 - 04:22 AM

I don't know of any way to transfer just the drivers.

If you are going to be installing a Windows operating system the native drivers will be installed from the installation disc. If this is the Compaq that you mentioned previously, there should a drivers restoration disc that came with it, this will take care of the motherboard and any other cards that came installed in it. Any other drivers for any peripheral devices should have come on a CD with the device.

What drivers are you wanting to transfer, and why if you don't mind my asking?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 yethPC

yethPC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 365 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2008 - 04:51 AM

Pls refer "new hd" to second hd, i'm sorry for the confusion.

The first hd does have all the drivers for intel desktop board which I installed a month ago.The second hd does not have which Im planning to use to work with that computer. I'm finding ways to install it to the second hd to save me much time from downloading. :thumbsup:

Thanks for entertaining these types of questions.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,391 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2008 - 05:00 AM

Unless you are going to be installing a second operating system on the other hdd I don't understand why you need the drivers.

Is this new hdd only going to be used for storage?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 yethPC

yethPC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 365 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2008 - 05:14 AM

Both do have the same operating system running.The second hd is not entirely new as in empty. I have just newly acquired it hehehe.

#6 yethPC

yethPC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 365 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2008 - 05:20 AM

Is this way possible?Or there is no other way but to go to manufacturer's site and download them to install.These are graphics ,high speed usb and sound drivers.thanks

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,391 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2008 - 05:33 AM

If you already have a hdd with a operating system on it, why not wipe the second hdd, format it and partition it and use it for storage?

When you take a hdd with a Windows OS installed on it that you have been using on one computer and then install it as a master in another computer you are asking for major problems. The excerpt below is from an article from Intel green which describes in detail what happens. The article also mentions a reference to an article by Microsoft, it can be seen here .

[b]"Moving a hard drive with Windows* 2000 or Windows XP* already installed to a new motherboard without reinstalling the operating system is not recommended.

If a hard drive is moved to a new computer, the registry entries and drivers for the mass storage controller hardware on the new motherboard are not installed in Windows for the new computer and you may not be able to start Windows. This is documented in Microsoft's* knowledge base article ‚ . This is true even if you move the hard drive to a motherboard with the same chipset, as different hardware revisions can cause this issue as well.

Additionally, moving a hard drive to a new motherboard may not exhibit any errors until you install new IDE drivers. This is because each chipset uses a different Plug-n-Play (PNP) ID to identify it. If you move your motherboard, your registry will have multiple PNP IDs (for the old hardware as well as the new hardware). If there are multiple entries in the registry, Windows cannot determine which hardware to initialize and therefore fails with a STOP error."

Edited by dc3, 09 July 2008 - 05:59 AM.

#8 yethPC

yethPC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 365 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2008 - 05:41 AM

Thanks dc3.

#9 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,391 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2008 - 06:01 AM

You are welcome. :thumbsup:

Please let us know what you decide to do.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users