Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Bunch Of Fx 2 Problems

• Please log in to reply
112 replies to this topic

#1 Lill

Lill

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:51 PM

Posted 09 July 2008 - 12:58 AM

First off: Please do NOT tell me to get a new browser. That's why I'm on Fx2 instead of 1.5. Fx2 has just made this list bigger. >.>

1. For some reason, at least since I got Fx 2, the browser doesn't have it's own connect pop-up, so when I get disconnected while something is loading, it doesn't get put on hold like it used to. (dial-up)
2. In the history menu drop down thing there aren't any pages. I also don't have the thing to undo closing a tab. I know I can use the history side bar and last viewed, but that is just a work around for the history, and shouldn't be needed.
3. Is there a way to manually change/add passwords to the password manager?
4. Even though I switched to Fx2, and while it isn't as often, I still get times when Fx (Firefox) lags. Like I'll click to switch tabs and it won't switch, or takes a while, the loading spinny things stop spinning, and if I try to force Fx to do something the window will go white, except for the top bar with the _ [] X. Really annoying, and when this happens it does spike my CPU usage to 50% (usually 1-5%) but over all when this lag happens I don't have RAM or CPU strain.
5. Much more recently page loading has been a lot slower, with the same range of connection speeds I used to. I manually disabled AVG. (Avast, what I had been using until I downloaded AVG a day or two ago is currently running, no they weren't running at the same time, and disabling AVG didn't speed me up) Could be weather I suppose, but usually telephone lines die, or work, I don't think phone lines can be effected by the weather more than being pulled apart.

That should be enough for now. I should mention that I got the many 'x's for tabs gone, so there is only one.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Juha

Juha

• Members
  • 512 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:51 AM

Posted 10 July 2008 - 07:28 AM

Why not try Firefox 3, the latest version?

#3 Lill

Lill
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2008 - 02:14 PM

First off: Please do NOT tell me to get a new browser. That's why I'm on Fx2 instead of 1.5. Fx2 has just made this list bigger.

That, and Fx 2 hasn't prompted me to upgrade, it's a pain to download something I don't need (Pain to download anything actually, dial-up) , and I recently got an update for this browser. Oh, and I'm still hearing about how many plugins still don't work with Fx3.

#4 Lill

Lill
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2008 - 03:17 PM

In the past 24 hours firefox has crashed countless (over three, likely over 5) times. (crashed, like when you are asked if you want to send MS an error report)
It has done the whiteout thing and NOT fixed itself at least 5 times, plus 2+ whiteout things that corrected themselves, 3-4+ if you count browser lag that could have easily ended up as the whiteout thing.

Please help. I think this started when I was asked to update to 2.0.0.16 or whatever it's called. I accidentally x'd that and I couldn't find a way to try that and see if that is what made the browser unstable. I have since gotten the .16 thing, but now that I think of it, would Mozilla really kill your browser if you don't update it immediately?

#5 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:51 AM

Posted 17 July 2008 - 05:58 PM

Hello Lill,

In the address bar type about:crashes
this will provide details on the crashes this will allow for a diagnosis of the problem.

How many plugins do you have installed? The more installed the slower the browser.
Clicking on help then check for updates will allow you to update your browser.

I know you don't want to update the browser, but the newer versions fix many problems/leaks that the older versions posses.
Regards,

Alan.

#6 rowal5555

rowal5555

Just enough info to be armed & dangerous...

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:51 PM

Posted 18 July 2008 - 12:40 AM

Hi Lill

I used FF as my default browser for years but there are so many little niggles now that I have changed to Opera 9.5 which just does everything. I know you say do not want to change, but why put up with things that are not suiting you.

Cheers

rowal5555 (Rob )                                                             

Avid supporter of Bleeping Computer's
Team 38444

You can help find a cure

#7 Lill

Lill
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2008 - 02:58 PM

Hello Lill,

In the address bar type about:crashes
this will provide details on the crashes this will allow for a diagnosis of the problem.

How many plugins do you have installed? The more installed the slower the browser.
Clicking on help then check for updates will allow you to update your browser.

I know you don't want to update the browser, but the newer versions fix many problems/leaks that the older versions posses.

I just get this error it one of the little boxes that pop up with the 'ok' buttom.

This url is not valid and cannot be loaded.

I hadn't downloaded any recently when this stuff got really bad. It's not just the browser being slow though, it's more like a freeze or crash (depending on if I get the send microsoft an error report thing, or if I have to use the task manager to exit firefox because it did the white out thing. WHen I say lag, it's because just before the whiteout often times the loading circles on tabs stop moving, or jump. Or, I click a tab and it doesn't switch or take a while. (If I click others, or click the tab agin that's forcing it and makes the whiteout thing, if I just wait sometimes it just fixes itself)

I tried Opera, was slow, could not be used while using another browser(IE can) and often just about or did crash my computer. Granted that was about a year ago, and on an old computer, but since this is my first non-sucking not way-outdated computer I have a thing against programs that don't like those computers, and yes, that computer did get corrupted file error but Firefox and IE still ran. (I think Firefox ran better then than it is doing right now. :sweat: )

#8 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2008 - 03:08 PM

When you do the about:crashes command, make suer the address bar is empty. Make sure there is no www ar http in front of about:crashes
Regards,

Alan.

#9 Lill

Lill
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2008 - 12:34 PM

No http no www. I tried it again just to be sure.

#10 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2008 - 01:05 PM

It must be a version add on to FF3.

The event viewer may give some more information.

1. Click Start select run
2. Type eventvwr.exe
3. Press enter
4. Search through the groups for errors and warnings.
5. Double click on each error and or warning.
6. Find the event IDand Source
7. Let us know what you find.

Edited by nigglesnush85, 19 July 2008 - 01:05 PM.

Regards,

Alan.

#11 Lill

Lill
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2008 - 03:24 PM

Most of these showed up a lot. (1004 not so much, 1000 was a lot throughout, 1002 was further down)

Errors
ID: 1000
Source: Application Error
ID: 1001
ID: 1004
ID: 1002
Source: Application Hang

Warnings
ID: 1524
Source: Userenv
ID: 1517
Source: userenv

Faulting application firefox.exe, version 1.8.20080.4669, faulting module msvcr80.dll, version 8.0.50727.762, fault address 0x0004ef67.

Odd, since I know I upgraded to Fx2.

Edited by Lill, 20 July 2008 - 03:26 PM.

#12 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2008 - 04:51 PM

That is strange, Did you uninstall FF1 prior to installing version 2?
Regards,

Alan.

#13 Lill

Lill
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2008 - 11:41 PM

No idea, but the help thing says this is version 2.0.0.16 and after some legal stuff:
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.1.16) Gecko/20080702 Firefox/2.0.0.16

#14 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2008 - 03:36 AM

I would try removing all instances of firefox from add/remove, then install which ever version you want to use.
Regards,

Alan.

#15 Lill

Lill
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2008 - 02:39 PM

Is there any workaround? I know that I was getting the whiteouts even on 1.5. At first they were better in Fx2 but for the past few days the send error report to Microsoft crashes for Fx2 have been considerable worse than the whiteouts ever were. Not even a restart is making it any better.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users