Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Slowest Computer Ever

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 pokerholic20

pokerholic20

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:42 PM

Posted 08 July 2008 - 07:49 PM

would like to know if its possible to get computer back to original state;as if installing windows xp home for the first time.Can I format hard drive to not include partition with o/s ?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:42 AM

Posted 08 July 2008 - 07:52 PM

Hello pokerholic20 and welcome,

I'm not sure what you are asking, could you elaborate?

If you reformat the Hard drive you will erase the contents of the drive completely.
Regards,

Alan.

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,601 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:42 PM

Posted 08 July 2008 - 08:31 PM

Why don't we start with some basics, like what make and model computer do you have?

How much RAM do you have?

How large is you hard drive, and how much free space do you have?

Reinstalling the operating system will usually get you back to the speed that you had when the computer was new.
As nigglesnush85 posted, reformatting will erase all of your files. If you are thinking of reinstalling the operating system then you should back up all of your important files and programs that you don't have the installation discs to reinstall them with. I would suggest backing up these to a removable media, like CDs, DVDs, a flash drive, or a storage hard drive.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 oneup

oneup

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:42 PM

Posted 11 July 2008 - 07:51 PM

you can format a drive that does not have the os on it, incase that is what you wanted to know. Like a floppy, to can format that, its the same for another partition/drive. I'm not sure if that was what you were asking. Have you tried defragging if you are concerned about speed?
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users