Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet speed test

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Keith1

Keith1

• Members
  • 504 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:18 AM

Posted 11 April 2005 - 08:24 PM

this is my first post, so i'm not sure if this the right place. so here goes.. my IP is Roadrunner - broad band connection. lately it has been so slow - or even disconnects. i have tried over a week to get phone support - sent an e-mail - but who knows?.

in the mean time, i tried a site to check internet speed ( test my.. ) it showed 500 - 1800 kbps - which i have heard it should be 3500+ so is there a better way to test this? also is there more info needed?

thank you - Keith

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2005 - 08:36 PM

It is advisable to test for bandwidth using several sources and at different times during the day. Another test is found at:

http://www.dslreports.com/tools

And if you have Mozilla or FF, there is a add-on bandwidth tester.

You should check with your ISP to determine if there is a guaranteed minimum download rate (perhaps on their homepage), and also ask technical support to check the connexion from their end.

Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 yano

yano

I can see what you post!

• Members
  • 6,469 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2005 - 08:41 PM

I have roadrunner and I finally got help. I called them up, and they told me my problem was that there a was a problem on the pole (first they said it was in the modem then it changed).

May I ask how long you have had RoadRunner?

I've had and still having the same problem as well. However they should fix mine in like a week.

Also when you call them up get a hold of a person, and then ask them to speak to a level 3 technician and they will actually know what they are talking about.

Edited by yanowhiz, 11 April 2005 - 08:42 PM.

#4 Keith1

Keith1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 504 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2005 - 03:56 PM

thanks for the replies, ran the speed test - about2200. got an e-mail reply back from roadrunner - said i will only get 50 -75% of advertized zalue ( whats with that? ) so i will keep trying to get ahold of their tech support by phone - will go for the level 3 support. i will post back results as soon as i can talk to them. Keith

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users