Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Two Different Ram Modules Running At Different Timings

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 grendelvamp

grendelvamp

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:37 PM

Posted 08 July 2008 - 03:57 PM

Hello All,

Good day to you. I was running everest last night and noticed that my two different ram modules are running a different timings. One is running at 5-5-5-15 @333Mhz, and the other is running at 5-5-5-16 @ 400 mhz. I purchased one with the PC (the former module), the other I bought online afterwards. they are both 1gb modules. Please let me know what I can do to get the most out of my set up. I heard somewhere that when this happens the memory is run at the lower of the two timings. I appreciate all of your help.

Corey

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:37 PM

Posted 08 July 2008 - 04:27 PM

Hello Corey,

That is true, if the modules are different speeds then the modules will run at the lower of the two speeds.

http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php If you run this tool and select the SPD tab and cycle through the drop down boxes look in the max bandwidth section for the PC-XXXX
Regards,

Alan.

#3 grendelvamp

grendelvamp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2008 - 09:25 PM

I've got 4 ram modules now, I bought 2 more 1 gbs, is there anything that I should do after installing them to make sure that they are being used to full capacity?

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,754 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:37 PM

Posted 20 July 2008 - 10:44 PM

What computer are you referring to, is this the Dell XPS M140?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 grendelvamp

grendelvamp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2008 - 06:57 PM

This is a computer that I built. What specs do you want? AMD x2 5300+, Nvidia 8800gt oc 512mb, 4Gb ram, 600w Antec psu. Anything else?

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,754 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2008 - 11:44 PM

How about the motherboard? :thumbsup:

If your motherboard is capable of running in dual channel then you will need modules that have the exact same specs. For the best performance you should purchase a pair from the same manufacturer.

Edited by dc3, 21 July 2008 - 11:55 PM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 grendelvamp

grendelvamp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2008 - 08:25 PM

Yes my motherboard will run dual channels. 3 of my ram mods are running at the same timings and specs, all DDRII-667. The other, DDRII-800. I'm running Vista 32 so I know that I can't use all four gbs of RAM, closer to 3.5. Would my computer's usage of the RAM be more efficient if I removed the oddball module?

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,754 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2008 - 01:46 AM

The advantage of dual channel operation is that it doubles the communication speed between the memory and the memory controller reducing the bottle neck between the speed of the RAM and the CPU.

For the best results matched modules should be used, and they must be in pairs. Here is a good article on dual channel.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users