Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Xp Won't Load On Compaq Laptop

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 poolturtle

poolturtle

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:34 PM

Posted 08 July 2008 - 03:32 PM

This is my first post on here, but I didn't see any posts with this exact problem.

I have a Compaq laptop computer running XP home edition. It recently froze up, so I did a hard shutdown. Now it won't load. It keeps cycling thru the boot screens. Safe mode and last known configuration don't work either. A few times it gave me a message saying the ql2300.sys file was missing or corrupted. I tried using a new copy of xp to boot up with and repair it, but it didn't work either. The computer still either reboots or hangs up in either the blue windows splash screen, the compaq logo screen that loads just before windows starts, or with my desktop background showing, but no icons. It did load up(sort of) a couple of times, but immediately gave me an error message(I'm sorry, I don't know which one. The comp is at home and it's been a few days since I've been able to mess with it) but still hung up again. The only thing I can do is do another hard shutdown, which starts the whole process over again.

BTW, I did notice another post where the proposed problem was possibly the cd drive. Mine appears to work fine, so i don't think that's an issue.

I will try to either bring the comp to work with me or write down the messages I get and add them in here.

Any help or ideas (short of setting fire to the thing, which I've already contemplated) will be greatly appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:34 PM

Posted 08 July 2008 - 03:46 PM

Hello poolturtle and welcome.

I would consider doing a repair install http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm
Regards,

Alan.

#3 tswsl1989

tswsl1989

• Members
  • 260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:34 PM

Posted 08 July 2008 - 03:50 PM

Try choosing "Disable automatic restart on system failure" (or similar wording) from the boot menu.
If a blue screen appears, post back the numbers displayed after the word STOP.

You will probably have to do a repair install as suggested by nigglesnush85, but the STOP message gives some information on what caused this to happen, which can be useful.
Tom

Tswsl1989
Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,090 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2008 - 03:51 PM

Well...that ql2300.sys file seems to be either a RAID or SCSI driver.

I guess that I'm having a hard time trying to figure out why it would even load, let alone botch your booting.

Were you running a RAID on your laptop?

Did you have such set up as a primary boot option?

Nigglenush's suggestion is pretty much all that I can see as an attempted solution.

FWIW: Every time a user does a hard shutdown, it's likely to result in file corruption somewhere. It's probably a good idea to run chkdsk /r and then sfc /scannow after any hard shutdown, IMO.

Louis

#5 poolturtle

poolturtle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2008 - 10:25 AM

I went thru the repair install suggested. It gave me almost a page long list of files that it couldn't copy or copy correctly. Then, when it was at about 98% done, it kicked me out to a blue stop error screen saying there was a BAD_POOL_CALLER

I'm trying to access the safe mode w/ command prompt option to try HP's recovery program that's described in the troubleshooting section of their site.

Also, when I was just trying to boot up like normal (or in safe mode) it gave me a stop error screen that said the ntfs.sys file was causing a problem.

Thanks for your help and suggestions.

#6 tswsl1989

tswsl1989

• Members
  • 260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:34 PM

Posted 09 July 2008 - 10:34 AM

Boot from your XP CD and press R when prompted to access Recovery Console.
Run Chkdsk /R C:
Allow it to fix any problems
Reboot
If necessary, rerun setup.
Tom

Tswsl1989
Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,090 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2008 - 11:42 AM

If chkdsk /r cannot do anything with the ntfs.sys situation...you may have to resort to clean install, although that isn't the official MS recommendation.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/822800

http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000876.htm

I've had this one and I tried the repair/replacement thing...I was unsuccessful and just ultimately did a repair install or a clean install (I always try a repair first).

Louis

#8 poolturtle

poolturtle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2008 - 02:26 PM

I got into the recovery console thru an xp upgrade disc I borrowed. I was able to replace the corrupted file with the one off the disc.

New problem: Now, every time it tries to load windows, it prompts me to activate it. no matter if I hit yes or no, it kicks me out and reboots. I even tried to get into safe mode (which I'm able to do a little more frequently) but it gives me a prompt that I can't activate it in safe mode, and that it must be activated. Again, it kicks me out no matter what I do.

I think it may be because I used the upgrade disk to try and repair the files, but I don't know.

#9 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:34 PM

Posted 09 July 2008 - 04:57 PM

Your should probably contact Microsoft and activate Windows.
Regards,

Alan.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users