Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My Cpu Is @ 95% -100%

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 jefri

jefri

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:47 AM

Posted 08 July 2008 - 12:31 PM

Good Afternoon ...

I am having this nagging problem with the CPU on my PC. Im running Windows XP (service pack 2) and last week I realised that my computer was running so slow and I couldnt browse on any website and even if I could it's very very sporadic or/and the page wont load. I checked my CPU and it was at 100% but I just couldnt find anything in Task manager that showed any processor which has been eating up all the CPU except for the Idle System which is high (as it was supposed to be).

I was advised by one of your experts here in another sub-forum to run a scan with MBAM. I ran the scan but there wasnt any virus to be found whatsoever. Could anyone of you guys please tell me what seems to be the problem cos this is really getting frustrating?

Thank you for your assistance.

P.S. Im not that computer savvy but I can definitely follow basic instructions. Im now on my roommate's PC.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 aommaster

aommaster

I !<3 malware

• Malware Response Team
  • 5,294 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:47 PM

Posted 08 July 2008 - 01:00 PM

If you have any folding @ home programs running, that would cause the CPU to run at 100%.

I think your best bet would be to run HijackThis and produce a log for the forum. Please post the log in the hijackthis log forum for analysis. The experts there will get to you (they are bogged down with logs so it may take a while for them to respond to your thread).

My website: http://aommaster.com
unite_blue.png
Please do not send me PM's requesting for help. The forums are there for a reason : )
If I am helping you and do not respond to your thread for 48 hours, please send me a PM

#3 aommaster

aommaster

I !<3 malware

• Malware Response Team
  • 5,294 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2008 - 02:30 PM

Oh, and here are the instructions on how to generate a log.

Warning: Do NOT attempt to fix any of the keys displayed unless told to do so by a member of the HJT team.

Click here to download HijackThis.
Save HJTInstall.exe to your Desktop.
Double click on the HJTInstall.exe icon to start the program.
By default it will install to C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\HijackThis
After the final dialogue box it will launch HijackThis.

Click on the scan button. It will scan and then ask you to save the log.
Post your log in the HJT forum.

unite_blue.png
Please do not send me PM's requesting for help. The forums are there for a reason : )
If I am helping you and do not respond to your thread for 48 hours, please send me a PM

#4 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:47 AM

Posted 08 July 2008 - 02:35 PM

Preparation Guide For Use Before Posting A Hijackthis Log
Regards,

Alan.

#5 LynnKnows2

LynnKnows2

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:47 AM

Posted 08 July 2008 - 02:37 PM

Another thing for thought: Have you defragmented your hard drive? You may also want to clean out your cache. Your CPU can be @ 100%, but if your HD is all fragmented, your machine is going to run slow.

#6 jefri

jefri
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:47 AM

Posted 08 July 2008 - 02:49 PM

Thank you so much guys for your input. But guess what? i just discovered where the problem is. Im using wireless router and when I disabled my connection, my CPU is back to where it should be, between 5-10%. So I went to the adaptor brand's site (Atheros Client utility) and updated my adaptor and VOILA ... everything works just fine now, connection and everything.

I knew the problem cannot be virus related and furthermore, I have defragmented my drives and cleared all cookies and caches.
I cannot believe I solved this problem being a computer illiterate myself. but I thank you nonetheless for your contribution. I hope the problem is history now. Fingers crossed! otherwise I'lll come back and seek further advice.

Have a nice evening everyone.

Edited by jefri, 08 July 2008 - 02:49 PM.

#7 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:47 AM

Posted 08 July 2008 - 03:07 PM

That's great, well done :thumbsup:
Regards,

Alan.

#8 aommaster

aommaster

I !<3 malware

• Malware Response Team
  • 5,294 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2008 - 04:52 PM

Nicely done! :thumbsup:

unite_blue.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users