Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Business Apps From The Open Source World, Mostly Platform Transparent

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 machiner

machiner

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:37 PM

Posted 08 July 2008 - 10:56 AM

SugarCRM
TinyERp
Quasar
Pm_Reports
Joomla
Zimbra
GnuCash
Grisby
Crossover Office Pro to run your QuickBooks (or, WINE) and yes you can print. I do :thumbsup:
OpenOffice
MySQL
LAMP
Debian GNU/Linux (don't trust your business to Microsoft or some fly-by-night Linux distro -do what YOU want)
Ganttproject
Tomcat
PhpBMS
SimpleInvoice
Asterisk

There are a lot more out there. Barcode stuff, POS stuff, time management, HR amnagement -- it's all out there for you, and of course, security stuff. The biggest single advantage of using open source software is that you (business owner) are not locked into a single vendor. You are at nobody's whim to update hardware or software or pay licensing. That's some sh&^ right there, bub. Maybe someone would argue this, but I don't see how.

Everything that I listed is free except for Crossover Office. However, WINE is free and it's what Crossover Office (CO) is built from. CO adds code for certain applications to run smoother, that's all.

I didn't mention virtualization, and I won't -- small businesses don't need the headache unless they run virtualization from one machine. Qemu and Parallels are excellent. A ton of hardware has been coming out to support virtualization....keep your eyes peeled if this is what you need.

I find that I can set up a butt-load of business apps for a small business right on their Intranet. Collaboration is not an issue at all, unless it's in your best interest to say it is. But you'd be lying. ;) It's very cool, way cheap, very robust and how many times can I write reliable without getting a cramp?

My customers like paying me a hell of a lot more than paying Adobe, Intuit, Microsoft, Siemans, et al. I'm a lot cheaper, get them rolling a lot quicker, save them beaucoup bucks, and they like that money they give me feeds my family and not some propoganda or lobby machine. They think it's cool that I can manage their (whatever) from the ass-groove in my sofa, too.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:37 AM

Posted 08 July 2008 - 11:20 AM

Thats a nice list, I'm familiar with some of them. You should post the free ones at http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/156510/business-apps-from-the-open-source-world-mostly-platform-transparent/
Regards,

Alan.

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:37 PM

Posted 08 July 2008 - 12:06 PM

One could also mention OpenOffice.org, an office productivity suite.
Cheers,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users