Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Why Does Windows Not Do This?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 xXAlphaXx

xXAlphaXx

• Members
  • 867 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:52 PM

Posted 08 July 2008 - 10:18 AM

If you need a license key just to install a copy of windows, why don't they allow a download of a windows CD image off of thier site and burn it too ISO?

The only utilities that they would be giving away would be a disk partitioner and disk formatter. I'm sure you can find a freeware version of software like this so why is it that Windows will not put their CD images up on the site for people who loose or scratch their CD's.
If I am helping you and I do not respond within 24 hours, please send me a PM. :)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:52 PM

Posted 08 July 2008 - 10:27 AM

That does make sense and is a good idea.

I suppose the reason that they don't do it is they might lose some money not having to make the CDs all the time.
Regards,

Alan.

#3 xXAlphaXx

xXAlphaXx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 867 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2008 - 10:30 AM

Thats understandable.

But when you buy they disk your really only paying for the license, they could copy files all day and they would actually be gaining money because they don't have to cover the manufacturing cost of as many discs.
If I am helping you and I do not respond within 24 hours, please send me a PM. :)

#4 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2008 - 11:11 AM

They probably have a supplier that makes the disks at virtually nothing.
Regards,

Alan.

#5 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:52 AM

Posted 08 July 2008 - 12:11 PM

Not everyone is fortunate enough to have DSL, and downloading a complete version of Windows would be a nightmare at under 56kps. But one would think that eventually, MS will provide that option.
Cheers,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#6 xXAlphaXx

xXAlphaXx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 867 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2008 - 05:07 PM

Would be useful.

Lord knows with how good I am at keeping track of CD's id be downloading copies all the time.

#7 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2008 - 05:26 PM

Would be useful.

Lord knows with how good I am at keeping track of CD's id be downloading copies all the time.

I'm the same, couple of weeks ago I decided to install a game... only found the CD yesterday :thumbsup:
Regards,

Alan.

#8 yano

yano

I can see what you post!

• Members
  • 6,469 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:52 AM

Posted 13 July 2008 - 08:25 PM

Ubuntu and almost every other version of linux supplies there OS this way. However, Linux is free. But I could see this as a potential future for Microsoft. They would definitely have to beef up it's "genuine" program before continuing any such effort.

#9 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2008 - 11:33 PM

Yeah when I had dial up it took me 22 hours to download 350mb. One month I downloaded over 4gb on dial up besides browsing.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users