Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Suddenly My Screen Is Frozen And My Pc Does Not React!

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 alexm24

alexm24

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:29 PM

Posted 08 July 2008 - 08:08 AM

Hello,

I recently reformatted my hard drive due to a rootkit and since then I have the following problem:

From time to time my screen freezes and my computer does not react to my mouse and keyboard. It's completely stuck and I can't do anything else but to reset it. This happens around 2-3 times daily.

I reformatted my hard drive twice last week because of this problem. At the first time I intalled service pack 2. After the installation of service pack 2 and the restart it promted me to do the issue that i explained above appeared for the first time. That is, after the restart, windows security center appeared and suddenly my pc was frozen so I had to reset it. After the reboot it was ok for a while but every time I opened windows security center my pc was stuck again (and some times occasionally when doing random things). After 2-3 days my pc continued to freeze more and more and some times right after the reboot. So I decided to reformat it again*.
So I formatted the hard drive for the second time and this time I did not put service pack 2. My pc appeared to be ok after it, so I assumed service pack 2 caused this to happen. But unfortunatley it happened again. Not too often as it happened after the first foramt with sp2, but its still irritating.

Any ideas what it might be wrong? Before the first format this did not happen. Thanks in advance!!

* I could not see the istallation of service pack 2 at add/remove programs so I did not know how else I could remove sp2 so I decided to reforamt the drive.

Edited by alexm24, 08 July 2008 - 08:15 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:29 PM

Posted 08 July 2008 - 08:58 AM

Hello alexm24 and welcome,

The slow down could be many things.

What security products are you using?
What are the components of the system? I.e. CPU,RAM,Free space etc
Look in the event viewer in the categories for any warnings or errors (control panel=>administrative tools=>event viewer)
Right click on my computer select properties, hardware tab, device manager. Do you see any exclamation marks next to any groups?
Can you open device manager and expand IDE/ATA/ATAPI controllers Open the Primary IDE controller and select Advanced settings What is the Current Transfer mode?
Regards,

Alan.

#3 alexm24

alexm24
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2008 - 05:24 AM

I have installed the following secutiry programs:

1. AVG free edition version 7.5.524
2. Spybot - Search & Destroy version 1.5.2
3. Ad-Aware 2008 version 7.1.0.8

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The components of the system are the following:

M/B: Gigabyte SiS - 645
CPU: Intel Pentium 4 - 2,4GHz
SVGA: Nvidia Geforece 2 MX/MX 400
HDD: 40GB (33,3 GB free space)
RAM: 2 DDR-SDRAM RAMs (512 Mb (166 MHz) + 256 Mb (133 MHz))
Microsoft Windows XP Professional 5.0.1.2600

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In the event viewer I see the following errors/warnings:

1. Application

Warnings:
1517 (6 warnings so far)
1524 (1 warning so far)
1015 (6 warnings so far)
4354 (6 warnings so far)
1005(1 warning so far) - I think this is for windows activation ( I have done it).

2. Security

No warnings/errors/information

3. System

Errors:
29 (25 errors so far)
17 (24 errors so far)
7 (11 errors so far)
11 (1 error so far)
4311 (1 error so far)
10010 (1 error so far)

Warnings:
1007 (11 warnings so far)
20 (2 errors so far)
51 (2 errors so far)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't see any exclamation marks at device manager.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In the primary IDE controller I see:

Under Device 0:
Transfer mode: DMA if available
Current tranfer mode: Ultra DMA mode 5

Under Device 1:
Transfer mode: DMA if available
Current transfer mode: Ultra DMA mode 2

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

#4 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2008 - 06:34 AM

OK, your security products look good, what have you got in the way of a firewall?

The specs for the system look OK for a work machine, how many processes are running in task manager? (CTRL+ALT+DEL)

The transfer mod is where it should be.

The event viewer errors look like they may be the culprit. Can you post as much information on each of these errors particularly the ID number and the source; these can be found by double clicking on each entry.
Regards,

Alan.

#5 Firefoxer

Firefoxer

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:29 PM

Posted 11 July 2008 - 06:41 AM

Hello,

I recently reformatted my hard drive due to a rootkit and since then I have the following problem:

From time to time my screen freezes and my computer does not react to my mouse and keyboard. It's completely stuck and I can't do anything else but to reset it. This happens around 2-3 times daily.

I reformatted my hard drive twice last week because of this problem. At the first time I intalled service pack 2. After the installation of service pack 2 and the restart it promted me to do the issue that i explained above appeared for the first time. That is, after the restart, windows security center appeared and suddenly my pc was frozen so I had to reset it. After the reboot it was ok for a while but every time I opened windows security center my pc was stuck again (and some times occasionally when doing random things). After 2-3 days my pc continued to freeze more and more and some times right after the reboot. So I decided to reformat it again*.
So I formatted the hard drive for the second time and this time I did not put service pack 2. My pc appeared to be ok after it, so I assumed service pack 2 caused this to happen. But unfortunatley it happened again. Not too often as it happened after the first foramt with sp2, but its still irritating.

Any ideas what it might be wrong? Before the first format this did not happen. Thanks in advance!!

* I could not see the istallation of service pack 2 at add/remove programs so I did not know how else I could remove sp2 so I decided to reforamt the drive.

It could be high temperature problem, I suggest to look if all fans are working, and clen it if there is dirt on it.

#6 alexm24

alexm24
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2008 - 02:48 PM

I do not have a firewall installed.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Here is what I've found about the warnings/errors.

Application

6 warnings with id: 1517 and source: Userenv information

1 warning with id: 1524 and source: Userenv information

6 warnings with id: 1015 and source: MSiInstaller

6 warnings with id: 4354 and source: EventSystem information

1 warning with id: 1005 and source: Windows Product Activation information

System

11 warnings with id: 1007 and source: Dhcp information

2 warnings with id: 20 and source: Print information

2 warnings with id: 51 and source: cdrom information

25 errors with id: 29 and source: W32Time information

24 errors with id: 17 and source: W32Time information

11 errors with id: 7 and source: cdrom (bad sector on cd)

1 error with id: 11 and source: disk information

1 error with id: 4311 and source: NetBT information

3 errors with id: 10010 and source: DCOM information
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I also checked the System temperature and CPU temperature from BIOS and it was around 50o C. Is this normal? (I'll check it again.)

* I'll also check the processes on task manager (forgot about that).

Edited by alexm24, 14 July 2008 - 02:53 PM.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,818 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:29 PM

Posted 14 July 2008 - 04:12 PM

Living online without a firewall...is an invitation to many unwanted guests (IMO).

It certainly is an invitation to trojans.

Louis

#8 alexm24

alexm24
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2008 - 05:58 AM

Do you know any free firewall that I can download for the time being? If we find out what this problem is I will install service pack 2 also with the firewall it provides.

#9 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2008 - 06:25 AM

Comodo Is a great free firewall.
Regards,

Alan.

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,818 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:29 PM

Posted 16 July 2008 - 09:42 AM

http://www.firewallguide.com/freeware.htm

Louis

#11 alexm24

alexm24
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2008 - 06:38 AM

I have downloaded everest home edition and speed fan to check the temperature of the computer. The temperature of the motherboard is around 25o C which is good. The video card temperature was around 40o C - 50o C. The cpu temperature was around 43o C - 53o C. I opened the computer and cleaned the fans. The video card temp now is lower (it had a lot of dust :thumbsup: ). Speed fan now only shows a fire icon in some cases when cpu temp goes above 50o C. But it drops right after and shows the ok icon.

But I don't think it has to do with overheating because I recently found out that the computer hangs (among other times) when I open a quite big excel file and scroll down it fast. Could this happen because of the hard disk (maybe a bad sector or something..)?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users