Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Will Not Boot

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 mictamcody2000

mictamcody2000

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:24 PM

Posted 08 July 2008 - 07:19 AM

I am unable to boot up in Windows. It freezes at the "Windows did not shut down correctly" message.

I Tried the post from http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/89339/problems-starting-your-computer-after-running-older-version-of-smitfraudfix/ but dind't work.

any ideas/help?

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,597 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2008 - 07:33 AM

Those instructions were intended for a bug fix in an old version of SmitFraudFix (v2.169). If you used a recent version, they do not apply and certainly do not apply if you never used the tool.

It can be difficult to determine what exactly caused this problem. Bootup failure can be due to a variety of issues to include application faults, hardware failures, loose pin connections or malware. Startup failures that occur before the OS loader (Ntldr) starts could indicate missing or deleted files, or damage to the hard disk master boot record (MBR), partition table, or boot sector. If a problem occurs during startup, the system might have incompatible software or drivers, incompatible or improperly configured hardware, or corrupted registry/system files. However, the first thing to do is check all your hardware connections and ensure they are fitted properly.

If Windows XP (or 2000) refuses to start in Normal Mode, reboot your computer in "Safe Mode" using the F8 method and select "Last Known Good Configuration" or System Restore from a command prompt in Safe Mode to return to a previous state before your problems began.

Also see:
"10 things you can do when Windows XP won't boot".
"What to Do When XP or 2000 Won't Boot".

If you cannot boot up in Normal or Safe mode, you may be able to use a Windows XP bootable Floppy Disk to boot from a diskette instead of your hard drive. If your hard drive's boot sector or Windows' basic boot files have been corrupted, this disk will circumvent the problem and boot you into Windows. If you don't have an emergency boot floppy, you may be able to use one created on another PC running Windows XP but there's no guarantee that it will boot your machine.

"Resolving Boot Issues with a Boot Floppy Disk".
"How to obtain Windows XP Setup boot disks" and select the download that's appropriate for your Operating System. The Setup boot disks are available so that you can run the Setup program on computers that cannot use a bootable CD-ROM.

Another option is to create a Bootable CD:
Bootable CD FAQs
Bart's way to create bootable CD-Roms, Bart's Preinstalled Environment (BartPE)
Ultimate Boot CD
How to write a CD/DVD image or ISO
Creating A Windows XP Recovery Console CD Image
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 mictamcody2000

mictamcody2000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2008 - 01:50 PM

Woops, forgot to mention I use XP.

It freezes as well at all safe modes and "Last Known Good Configuration".

I cannot do the floppy disk because of no floppy disk drive.

I have tried the Recovery Console from the Windows XP CD.

I'm pretty sure it's not hardware, because I can boot up on a 2nd installation.

#4 mictamcody2000

mictamcody2000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2008 - 12:13 AM

Ok, I did a repair and it will boot up now, but 90% of programs will not work...any way to get them working again?

Edit: I am experiancing a dl.exe error with ntvdm.exe everytime I try to connect to the internet. any way to fix that?

Edited by mictamcody2000, 10 July 2008 - 03:22 AM.

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,597 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2008 - 09:51 AM

A repair will not disinfect your machine so you are probably still infected. Not that you are able to boot up, this issue will require further investigation and probably the use of more powerful tools than we recommend in this forum. Before that can be done you will need you to create and post a hijackthis log.

Please read the pinned topic titled "Preparation Guide For Use Before Posting A Hijackthis Log" and complete all the steps. There are instructions for downloading and running Deckard's System Scanner (DSS) which will create a hijackthis log for you, or automatically download and install the most current version of HijackThis if it's not already installed on your computer.

When you have done that, post your log in the HijackThis Logs and Malware Removal forum, NOT here, for assistance by the HJT Team Experts. A member of the Team will walk you through, step by step, on how to clean your computer. If you post your log back in this thread, the response from the HJT Team will be delayed because your post will have to be moved. This means it will fall in line behind any others posted that same day.

Start a new topic, give it a relevant title and post your log along with a brief description of your problem, a summary of any anti-malware tools you have used and a summary of any steps that you have performed on your own. An expert will analyze your log and reply with instructions advising you what to fix. After doing this, we would appreciate if you post a link to your log back here so we know that your getting help from the HJT Team.

Please be patient. It may take a while to get a response because the HJT Team members are very busy working logs posted before yours. They are volunteers who will help you out as soon as possible. Once you have made your post and are waiting, please DO NOT "bump" your post or make another reply until it has been responded to by a member of the HJT Team. Generally the staff checks the forum for postings that have 0 replies as this makes it easier for them to identify those who have not been helped. If you post another response there will be 1 reply. A team member, looking for a new log to work may assume another HJT Team member is already assisting you and not open the thread to respond.

#6 mictamcody2000

mictamcody2000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2008 - 10:11 AM

I posted in there on the 13th and still have had no reply.

#7 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,428 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2008 - 10:34 AM

The volunteers at the HJT forum are just swamped right now. Please make a post here..
Haven't Had A Reply In Five Days?
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#8 mictamcody2000

mictamcody2000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2008 - 11:45 PM

I have made 2 posts there. One at 5 days and the Other at 10 days. Both posts were deleted and no replies in my topic. Also I noticed something about the "dl.exe" (The one where I got an error about ntdvm.exe and it stopped my internet connection) problem I was having. In Linux, it opens as an HTML file and goes to an invalid page at lycos.it

#9 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,597 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2008 - 06:44 AM

You did not mention the Dl.exe problem posting a log.

This is a real nasty infection. Dl.exe is a file infector which infects every legit .exe file on your system an downloads more malicious files. In many cases the infected files cannot be deleted and anti-malware scanners cannot disinfect them properly. When disinfection is attempted, the files become corrupted and the system may become irreparable.

Many experts in the security community believe that once infected with this type of malware, the best course of action is to wipe the drive clean, reformat and reinstall the OS. Please read:

"When should I re-format? How should I reinstall?"
"Help: I Got Hacked. Now What Do I Do?"
"Where to draw the line? When to recommend a format and reinstall?"

Should you decide not to follow that advice, you can try performing a scan with AVG vcleaner in "Safe Mode".

After that download and perform a scan with Trend Micro's Sysclean Package.
Be sure to print out and follow the instructions provided in the How to Use System Cleaner for performing a scan.

#10 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,993 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2008 - 02:25 PM

Both posts were deleted and no replies in my topic.

Only the second post was deleted. The first one is still there and is presently post #18 in that thread. It will stay in that thread, though the post number may change, until A: your HJT log is answered or B: you let us know that you decided to reformat and want to delete/close the HJT topic.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#11 mictamcody2000

mictamcody2000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2008 - 10:35 AM

Yeah, the dl.exe part was on a different computer and I didn't want to intertwine 2 different computers in one topic. That's why I made one topic about dl.exe and then one quietman7 told me to make. But then I realized that it had spread itself to my 1tb external hard drive, right now i'm letting avast do a boot-up scan and delete every *.exe it detects, and it also detected the hibernation file.sys (don't remember the name of it at the moment). I would rather delete every *.exe than reformat my laptops hard drive my other computers hard drive and my 1TB external hard drive.

If that doesn't work I think i'll be forced to re-format. :thumbsup: :flowers:

Oh last time I looked I didn't see either of my posts, must have overlooked it.

Edited by mictamcody2000, 29 July 2008 - 10:38 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users