Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What Exactly Are Temporary Internet Files?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 bluesjunior

bluesjunior

• Members
  • 761 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:28 AM

Posted 08 July 2008 - 06:55 AM

I share my PC with my twenty year old daughter. We have two seperate accounts both set as administrators. My daughter although growing up with PC's is not very savvy when it comes to PC security. We have nothing to hide from each other so we know each others passwords.

I am very fussy about security so I go into her account occasionally when I add programs such as Firefox add-ons etc. She was on holiday recently when the new Firefox v3 came out. I installed the new Firefox and added the add-ons we use No-Scripts, Adblock Plus and Stumble Upon. I then thought it had been a while since I had cleaned up Temp Files etc and decided to do this at the same time.

I then signed in to my daughters account to repeat the process, where I cleared the Private Data in Firefox and opened up the Disc Cleanup process in Accessories > System Tools. I then deleted Temporary Internet Files, Temporary Files and the Recycle Bin.

This was done approximately two weeks ago and since being home again she has only been on the PC about 3 times of circa an hour at a time. She tells me that apart from talking to her friends on Messenger she visits My Space and also once she had visited the kids site at BBC TV when she was online with my grand daughter her niece.

Yesterday I thought the PC was a bit sluggish and did a scan with Superantispyware which found one tracking cookie. I then emptied my Cache etc in Firefox and the Temp Internet files etc using the Disc Cleanup tool. I had something like 37,500kb after the scan to free up. I then opened my daughters account to repeat the process. When the Disc Scan had finished she had 287,000kb in Temporary Files and another 78,000kb in Temporary Internet files which could be freed up.

Now my questions are, what are these files? and how can it be possible that she has amassed almost 360,000kb in three hours PC usage while I who am on the internet every day for around 5-6hrs since retiring in the same time span I have only amassed 37,500kb

Could someone explain what this means. The only other thing I can think of is that my daughter and I have had words about her tendency to crash the computer which she says happens at times when she visits My Space.

Again thanks in advance for any help advise offered.
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3, CPU: AMD Athlon II X3 450 Processor, Memory: OCZ 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1333MHz,Graphics: PowerColor HD 5750 1GB GDDR5,
PSU: Corsair 430W CX PSU 4x SATA 1x PCI-E, Hard Drive:Samsung SpinPoint F3 500GB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 16MB Cache.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2008 - 09:15 AM

Hello bluesjunior,

Temporary internet files are essentially just a copies of pages and the content on those pages that you have visited.

I have noticed that my space pages are filled with Flash, images, advertisements and other things. If Your daughter has been on my space it the amount of temporary internet files would be quite large even for a short browse.

A quicker way to clear out temp files and firefox files would be to use http://www.atribune.org/index.php?option=c...5&Itemid=25 it is standalone, meaning it doesn't need to be installed and will perform all those tasks.
Regards,

Alan.

#3 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:28 PM

Posted 08 July 2008 - 10:26 AM

Just wanted to mention that I use CCleaner to automatically clean out temp files, cookies & the recycle bin. I don't use the registry cleaner. There are cookies you will want to keep but I have CCleaner clean that stuff each time I boot up. An icon comes up in the systray while it's cleaning and then disappears when it is finished.

#4 bluesjunior

bluesjunior
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 761 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2008 - 04:11 PM

Thanks for the replies guys. i shall look at both programs but am just happy that as nigglesnush85 explains it is quite normal. I thought something had hijacked her account.
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3, CPU: AMD Athlon II X3 450 Processor, Memory: OCZ 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1333MHz,Graphics: PowerColor HD 5750 1GB GDDR5,
PSU: Corsair 430W CX PSU 4x SATA 1x PCI-E, Hard Drive:Samsung SpinPoint F3 500GB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 16MB Cache.

#5 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2008 - 04:12 PM

No problem, glad to help.
Regards,

Alan.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users