Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How Do You Delete A Full Folder?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Bone Idol

Bone Idol

• Members
  • 393 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:13 AM

Posted 08 July 2008 - 01:03 AM

Unfortunately I just tried once again to make Cobian Backup work for me, but instead I'm up to my neck in trouble with it now.

I set it to make a full backup to my external hard drive, E:\ - but instead it backed up to My Documents - leaving me out of disc space.

And now I find the backed-up 'Documents and Settings' folder refuses to delete because... "The directory is not empty".

Well of course it's not empty.

I'm going to try a System Restore to undo the mess that has been created.

++++++++++++++++

System Restore refuses to back-date.

Deleted it. Thank God for 'Unlocker'.

Edited by Bone Idol, 08 July 2008 - 01:13 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 mme

mme

• Members
  • 400 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:13 PM

Posted 08 July 2008 - 01:28 AM

unlocker is very good

#3 Bone Idol

Bone Idol
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 393 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2008 - 03:53 AM

I spoke too soon. Unlocker hasn't deleted two of these Cobian backed up folders.

Edit: Deleted unnecessary quote, to reduce forum post clutter. ~ Animal

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,077 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:13 PM

Posted 08 July 2008 - 07:49 AM

How much free space is left on your hard drive? Try going into the backed up Documents and Settings folder and deleting smaller things - it could be that the drive is too full to delete large files/folders. So, deleting the small stuff first can increase the free disk space to enable you to delete larger files/folders.

This happens because Windows uses the free space for it's own purposes during the file copy/deletion process.

You also may want to try:
- running Disk Cleanup
- running Disk Defragmenter
- decreasing the size of your pagefile and rebooting.
- disabling hibernation and rebooting
- disabling the Indexing of files
- adjust the amount of hard drive space reserved for System Restore
- disabling System Restore and rebooting (deletes all of your restore points)
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 Bone Idol

Bone Idol
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 393 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2008 - 09:58 PM

Very well said, usasma! I deleted little bits at a time - and it worked. Oddly enough, although I've emptied the folders, the folders themselves refuse to be deleted.

This whole thing was my own fault. Somehow I made the destination My Documents... and the rest of the tragedy followed.

I've since made a full backup of my PC to an external hard drive, using Cobian Backup.

After my local hard drive had to be physically replaced by a new one a couple of months ago - I then totally botched-up importing all my files from the backup in my external hard drive -- with the consequence that I ended up with a separate Program File within a Program File, a separate My Documents within My Documents... ditto... ditto... ditto. A nightmare.

Thanks for your help usasma.

Edit: Deleted unnecessary quote, to reduce forum post clutter. ~ Animal

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,077 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2008 - 08:13 AM

I learn by messing around with my computer until I screwed things up. Luckily I've been helped by a lot of great, giving people over the years both in person and online.

There may be an issue with the naming convention you used on the folders (Windows may think that they're System or some sort of Protected folder). I'd suggest trying a Live Linux distro, or the Ultimate Boot CD (free here: http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/ ) in order to delete them from outside of Windows. Be very careful tho' - ensure that you're deleting the correct folders (and not the one's that you need).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 Bone Idol

Bone Idol
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 393 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2008 - 04:03 PM

I learn by messing around with my computer until I screwed things up. Luckily I've been helped by a lot of great, giving people over the years both in person and online.

There may be an issue with the naming convention you used on the folders (Windows may think that they're System or some sort of Protected folder). I'd suggest trying a Live Linux distro, or the Ultimate Boot CD (free here: http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/ ) in order to delete them from outside of Windows. Be very careful tho' - ensure that you're deleting the correct folders (and not the one's that you need).

Thanks again, usasma!

#8 oneup

oneup

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2008 - 07:48 PM

for my back up needs, I use comodo back up. In case you are looking for a new back up program.
Posted Image

#9 Bone Idol

Bone Idol
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 393 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2008 - 08:35 PM

for my back up needs, I use comodo back up. In case you are looking for a new back up program.

Thanks oneup. I'll stick with Cobian Backup for a awhile and see if any problems emerge.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users