Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problem Encountered When Updating Vista To Sp1:

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 neo_drumz

neo_drumz

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:57 PM

Posted 07 July 2008 - 11:00 PM

My ASUS notebook was pre-installed with Genuine Windows Vista Home Premium. Recently, Windows Automatic Updates prompted me to update to Vista SP1, so I clicked "Yes" and followed the instructions, which was to wait until download & installation finishes. When it was finished, it restarted, but after the microsoft windows start-up progress bar screen, the screen remains black and some gibberish numbers & filenames were on one line of the screen, seeming like file paths. after waiting for some time, the system just crashes. I never even got to the windows log-on screen. I turned my notebook off then turned it on again. It then said: "Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause. To fix the problem: 1)Insert your Windows installation disc & restart your computer. 2)Choose your language & then click Next. 3)Click Repair your computer." So i inserted the recovery disc which came with my laptop, but the said options were not there. There's no "Repair your computer." There's only: 1)Recover Windows to first partition only. 2) Recover Windows to entire HD. 3)Recover Windows to entire HD with 2 partition. What should I do??? I cant afford to lose my important files. I'm afraid that if I choose the wrong option I might erase my files. I tried to start windows in safe mode but still i cant enter windows. Why would microsoft create a service pack upgrade that crashes the system?!?!? I know my last option is to reformat my pc but i need to look for other options to save my important files. PLEASE HELP ME ASAP!!! SYSTEM CRASH AFTER UPGRADING VISTA TO SP1:(

Mod Edit: Personal email address removed to protect member privacy.~ TMacK

Edited by TMacK, 08 July 2008 - 12:26 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:57 AM

Posted 08 July 2008 - 06:32 AM

Try pressing F8 just before the Windows splash screen shows up. That should take you to the Safe Mode window - where the first choice will be to "Repair your computer"
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 I_am_CanadianEh?

I_am_CanadianEh?

• Members
  • 489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:57 AM

Posted 08 July 2008 - 08:11 AM

By any chance, did you disable all security software, including antivirus, real-time spyware protection and even shutdown your firewall? The only thing that should stay on during the update is the Windows firewall. I wouldn't be surprised if one of your security apps (Norton perhaps??) corrupted the installation.

I would do as Usasma suggests....however, you could also try:

- System Restore from Safe Mode

- if you've imaged the partition with Vista on it just before you updated to SP1 with programs like Acronis or Norton Ghost, I would restore that image by booting into their recovery media that you created from that program. You can then do a checkup on your computer of all drivers and software before you try again.

Let us know what happens...good luck! :huh:

#4 neo_drumz

neo_drumz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:57 PM

Posted 08 July 2008 - 10:47 PM

Thanks for replying guys but the problem is I cant enter into safe mode. I already tried that hoping I can just do a system restore. When i try to enter safe mode the same thing happens & the system just crashes. In fact I can't enter Windows at all. Yup, I did have Bit Defender Total Security on while I was downloading the update. But I monitored it and there appeared to be no glitch during the download & installation. I contacted ASUS and they said:

"This is due to the language packs in our RCD have other languages, which is different from the 5 languages (English, French, German, Japanese and Spanish), which SP1 released.

There are 2 ways to avoid this, you need to
1. Install OS with English only (or with the other 4 languages OS) + SP1 (5 languages package).
2. Or the Original RCD OS + SP1 (all-language package)."

But my main concern is how to rescue my important files in my laptop. I know the options they gave as well as the options presented in the rescue disc will to re-install the OS but will also delete my files in the process. I'm afraid that if I open up my laptop & back-up the hard drive as a slave to another computer will void my warranty since the unit is still a few months old. How do I resolve this??? :huh:

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:57 AM

Posted 09 July 2008 - 06:44 AM

Presuming that you have a 32 bit version of Vista, you can download an ISO of the Startup Repair portion of the DVD from here: http://neosmart.net/blog/2008/windows-vist...-disc-download/
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 I_am_CanadianEh?

I_am_CanadianEh?

• Members
  • 489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:57 AM

Posted 11 July 2008 - 08:13 AM

After you download and burn the iso to a CD/DVD, you should then re-start the computer and boot from the CD Drive (check your computer documentation in order to access the BIOS to do this).

Then find your way to system restore and try restoring it that way.

Let us know what happens.

Good luck! :huh:

#7 Skuller

Skuller

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:57 PM

Posted 13 July 2008 - 01:30 AM

Hi,
maybe you know it already but the microsoft HOTLINE for SP1 is free. Have you tried with them ?

Good luck...

#8 ROZCKA

ROZCKA

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:57 AM

Posted 19 July 2008 - 05:08 AM

HI I've just been reading about someone else who had the same problem. i've just installed sp1 and my pc went all to hell so i've restored back. This guy had the black screen and here he posts a solution hope this helps you....Roz
http://www.arscompendium.com/2008/04/14/explorerexe-not-loading-the-ultimate-black-screen-of-death-fix-for-vista/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users