Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Rundl132 Issue

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 HCRDAN

HCRDAN

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:13 AM

Posted 07 July 2008 - 10:11 PM

I am working to clean up a system and have several issues.

1) when I boot the system, I get a dialog box that says

"X Windows cannot find 'C:\\windows\rundl132.exe'. Make sure you typed the name correctly , and then try again. To search for a file, click the Start button, and then click Search." and presented with an "OK" button.

When pressing OK, I get a similar message stating

Desktop
"! Could not load or run 'C:\\windows\rundl132.exe' specified in the registry. Make sure the file exists on your computer or remove the reference to it in the registry." and presented with an "OK" button.

SuperAntiSpyware does not detect any problem
Spybot Search & Destroy does not detect any problem

Possibly linked to it is another problem. Once I get past these two dialog boxes, I am presented with a Windows Installer box trying to install somethign called "Status" according to the title bar, and telling me "the feature you are trying to use is on a CD-ROM or other removable disk that is not available", and instructing me to "Insert the "Status" disk and click "OK" and to use source "1".

The only way around this one is to use Windows Task Manager to end the task as clicking "Cancel" takes me through an infinite loop of the same request.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

HCRDAN

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,571 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:13 AM

Posted 07 July 2008 - 10:14 PM

I think this is a leftover from a virus infection. Typically when you get a virus it makes an entry in your registry instructing your computer to run the virus every time you start. Your antivirus found the virus and deleted it, but this entry is still in your registry, which is why you are getting the error message. Using the AutoRuns utility you should be able to locate this entry and delete it.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 HCRDAN

HCRDAN
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2008 - 10:43 PM

Thanks. I've just downloaded it and looking through it. I notice a number of "file not found" in the image path column under several tabs. Some of these items also have no file description or publisher listed, while others have description and publisher (such as Intuit and other recognizable names).

1) Does it seem reasonable that I could deselect the items with "file not found" with no adverse effect?

2) I did perform a search on "run132dl" and it seems to run long (over 5 min so far). Does that seem reasonable?

#4 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,571 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2008 - 10:52 PM

Yeah, you can delete the "file not found" entries.

The reason the you cannot find run132dl is that there may be a different process in your startups that then calls the run132dl process.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#5 HCRDAN

HCRDAN
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2008 - 09:32 AM

Thank you again. Can you point me in the right direction for understanding/discovering where this might be called from?

#6 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,571 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2008 - 04:06 PM

That could be difficult. You may have to go through every item in your startups and check them one by one.

You could try running some scans to see if that picks it up.

Try running an online scan such as Trend Micro HouseCall.

And run a full system scan with Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware in Normal Mode.

—George Bernard Shaw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users