Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Upgrading Hp A1520n Suggestions And Assistance Needed Please

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 phoenix_124

phoenix_124

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:06 AM

Posted 07 July 2008 - 09:07 PM

I'm deciding to purchace 3 hardware, a new video card, RAM, and PSU. I know that you'll recommend me to just purchace a new computer but I just bought this HP recently without thinking and now I want some MORE speed to run games and applications on Windows Vista.

I have a:
HP a1520n
Windows Vista Home Premium 32bit (from a upgrade disc provided by HP free of charge)
1 GB of RAM (came with the system) OR 2x 512mb RAM DDR SDRAM
4 x 184 Pin DIMMs 400mhz maximum speed
Nvidia 6150LE integrated video card
I believe it contains a 300W PSU
AMD Athlon X2 3800+ 2.0Ghz

What I want in regards of upgrading:
a new video card -thinking of the 9600gt
something that won't produce so much heat and also very quiet... any suggestions?

more RAM - to enhance my Vista experience, I'm hoping to get 1 more gig
TWO CHOICES HERE:
1: I get 2x 512mb for dual channel but RAM speed with decrease to 333mhz from 400mhz due to the fact I have a socket 939 motherboard and will utilize all 4 RAM slots
2: I get 1x 1gb to eliminate the speed drop but will lose Dual Channel... worth it?
Once again what non-expensive RAM do you recommend?

Power Supply
With a new graphic card, obviously it requires more power to power up the beast. Thinking of a non-expensive 500W but maybe 450W could be acceptable... half of the time I work (MS word, internet browsing), and the rest I game. And with DirectX 10, I can't bare to lose my gaming experience I had in XP. So, since I don't play games 24/7, which one do you think I should get 450W and 500W... I like cheap and quality :thumbsup:.... Do you think it is enough?

Thank you for all your suggestions. This is obviously my first time and I don't feel like screwing up :huh:
Any other tips and strategies you would like to share with me, I'm willing to listen and learn from all your expert knowledge

Thanks agan BleepingComputer!
Ginuine Microsoft Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005
AMD 64 X2 1GB RAM 2.00GHz

Please note that I will try my best to assist you in this regard...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,406 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:06 AM

Posted 08 July 2008 - 04:45 AM

I would stick with the dual channel, it will be faster. Remember that if you want to continue to run in dual channel that you will need to match the specks of the modules that are installed.

After you decide on the graphics card that you want to use, find out what the wattage and amperage requirements are, and purchase a PSU which will support those specs.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users