Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot Log On To Windows Xp

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 nataliescholten

nataliescholten

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:29 AM

Posted 07 July 2008 - 08:58 PM

I was having trouble with my computer (Windows XP) so I followed tutorial 101 on removing malware but when I completed it and rebooted in normal mode I could not log on to Windows. It would go through the steps of logging on, and briefly show my desktop then it would log off. Since its the first time I tried to remove malware this way I assume the problem was caused by a mistake I made along the way. Here's what I did, if you know where I went wrong plese let me know asap.
I downloaded and unzipped autorun and rebooted into safemode. Once I was logged on I opened autorun and deleted the following programs from the statup registry:
HOST
Runner
I closed autorun and opened search in order to locate the malware. I researched each of the programs before I deleted them. These are the programs and associated files I deleted:
chknfts.exe
mjc.exe
ctfmon.exe
userinit.exe
spoolsv.exe
MDM.EXE
After each of these were successfully deleted I rebooted into normal mode and that is when I encountered the problem with logging onto Windows XP.
I tried running in safemode but I still could not log on, and I tried to reboot with last known good configuration but that did not solve the porblem either.
Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks, Natalie.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Richard Fu

Richard Fu

• Members
  • 135 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:29 AM

Posted 07 July 2008 - 09:32 PM

I think that you deleted an file or an startup file that Windows needs to load.
Do you have the Recovery Console on your PC or the Windows XP CD?

#3 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:29 PM

Posted 07 July 2008 - 10:09 PM

Your problem was most probably caused by deleting userinit.exe.

userinit.exe is a key process in the Windows operating system. On boot-up it manages the different start up sequences needed, such as establishing network connection and starting up the Windows shell. This program is important for the stable and secure running of your computer and should not be terminated.

The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,554 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:29 AM

Posted 07 July 2008 - 10:27 PM

One of the things you could do to replace said file (and any other system files which may be missing/damaged) is a repair install of XP.

Do you have an XP CD?

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users