Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Defender, Malware Bytes, Avast Free

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Tom_Slick

Tom_Slick

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:54 AM

Posted 07 July 2008 - 07:30 PM

Just a quick question, or two. Sorry for my ignorance. I've been reading some of the topics here but cannot seem to find an answer so I'll ask.
Can I have Win defender, Avast Free Home edition and MalwareBytes all installed on my machine with no conflicts? I know I should only run scans with one at a time, just making sure that they can be installed okay.
Also, I know some or all of them have a type of "Resident Shield", which one should I use? Or should I let all of them run?
Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:54 AM

Posted 07 July 2008 - 07:43 PM

Hello Tom_Slick,

As far as I know there is no problem running those tools. However it should be mentioned that malware bytesis on demand and as such wont pick up any malware unless you tell it to scan for it.

What are you using for a firewall?
Regards,

Alan.

#3 Tom_Slick

Tom_Slick
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2008 - 08:12 PM

Hi and Thanks!
I'm currently using the XP Firewall. I'm also planning on downloading and installing SpyBot S&D. Do you have any other suggestions? Also, what about the Resident Shields? Which one should be used?
Thanks again!

Edited by Tom_Slick, 07 July 2008 - 08:13 PM.

#4 3xist

3xist

• Banned
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:54 AM

Posted 07 July 2008 - 08:21 PM

Hello Tom_Slick,

As far as I know there is no problem running those tools. However it should be mentioned that malware bytesis on demand and as such wont pick up any malware unless you tell it to scan for it.

What are you using for a firewall?

Hi,

Spybot is past it's prime. Avast! is a GOOD choice for your detection. You also need Prevention... So I recommend the following programs:

Firewall
Comodo Firewall 3

Antispyware
SuperAntiSpyware 4
Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware

Avast! would be your detection & CFP 3 would be your Prevention, SAS & MBAM is your CURE. So there you have layered security. What I mean is Detection Technologies depend on "signatures" that researchers need to research & identify, then update the AV Database. While CFP 3 with Defense+ is your PREVENTION & asks for ANY known/unknown exe, dll, etc :-) There is some info for you.

CFP 3 might be a bit hard to use at first time, But there are good stickies on the Comodo forums to read if you want to. Sandboxie is actually a good one too:
http://www.sandboxie.com/

Goodluck

Josh

Edited by 3xist, 07 July 2008 - 08:25 PM.

#5 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2008 - 08:27 PM

I agree with 3xist,

Comodo firewall is a great choice for a firewall. Super antispyware does a little more than what spybot can do.

Super antispyware comes with its own resident shield.
Regards,

Alan.

#6 Tom_Slick

Tom_Slick
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2008 - 08:46 PM

Super antispyware comes with its own resident shield.

Okay, I will give them a try.
My question about Resident Shield is, which one to allow to be the Resident Shield? Windows Defender has it's own type of Res. Shield, and so does SuperAntispyware appearently. So, If Defender is my Res Shield, should I have superantispy as a Res Shield as well?

#7 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2008 - 08:56 PM

You should only have one resident shield active at one time due to conflicts. I have just looked on super antispyware's site and the free version of their product does not have a resident shield after all.

In light of this I would use Comodo BOClean or Spyware Terminator for Anti spyware.
Regards,

Alan.

#8 Tom_Slick

Tom_Slick
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2008 - 10:23 AM

You should only have one resident shield active at one time due to conflicts. I have just looked on super antispyware's site and the free version of their product does not have a resident shield after all.

In light of this I would use Comodo BOClean or Spyware Terminator for Anti spyware.

Okay, Thanks for clearing that up for me. I kinda thought that having 2 Res. Shields active would cause conflicts but I wanted to be sure.
I'll have a look at the other programs that you suggested.
Thanks for the help! :thumbsup:

#9 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2008 - 10:25 AM

No problem, glad to help.
Regards,

Alan.

0 user(s) are reading this topic