Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

This Ftp Problem Is Gonna Drive Me Totally Over The Edge!

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Number_6

Number_6

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:47 AM

Posted 07 July 2008 - 05:19 PM

Here's a problem that I think will be a good challenge to all.

I cannot get any FTP software to work on my XP-SP2 machine. The attempt to FTP to a remote site that I maintain always fails. For example, PING results in a message about blocking, and the Mozilla FTP client also results in a message that shows it's blocked from getting out.

I can successfully access the site on the W98 machine, and PING it, but when I try to PING on the XP, the result is "ping request could not find host www.somesite.com. Please check the name and try again."

I can FTP to the site from within Firefox, i.e. using ftp://ftp.targetsite.com. But that's using Firefox, which uses port 80, and not port 21.

This happens whether I use the name of the site, or its IP address (123.456....)

On the XP machine, Firefox and MSIE both work fine, so it does not look like it's a DNS issue.

Nor is it a firewall issue. I have the built-in Windows Firewall turned off. The other firewall I;m using, Comodo, shows the same information & permissions for my email program, Firefox, and my FTP software (I have several FTP programs, but I've been fooling around lately with FileZilla Client).

On Filezilla client, when I try to FTP to this site using the name www.somesite.com (of course, using the actual site name), the result is the following:

Error: Invalid hostname or host not found
Error: Critical error
Error: Could not connect to server

I have several of the unnecessary services that XP launches turned off.

I've tried all the obvious things and looked in what I think of as the obvious places. Anyone have any ideas?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 raw

raw

Bleeping Hacker

• Members
  • 2,577 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:47 AM

Posted 07 July 2008 - 06:34 PM

This is just a shot, from what you posted.
At one point you say 'ftp.somesite.com' and then you say 'www.somesite.com'
I know from my server that "ftp.mysite.net" does not resolve. FTPing to "www.mysite.net"
will not connect me to FTP. I have to use just "mysite.net" from FTP (on port 21).
I don't know the specifics of your server, but I hope this helps.

rawsig.png

rawcreations.net          @raw_creations

Current systems: WHAT OS, BackTrack-raw, PCLinuxOS, Peppermint OS 6, Kali Linux

and a custom Linux From Scratch server hosting a bunch of top secret stuff.

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:47 AM

Posted 08 July 2008 - 06:56 AM

I'd suggest turning off the Comodo firewall TEMPORARILY and then trying to connect.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users