Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is It Time To Update?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 TheComputerNoob

TheComputerNoob

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:24 AM

Posted 07 July 2008 - 04:00 PM

Here is the information:

Motherboard

Manufacturer: MICRO-STAR INTERNATIONAL CO., LTD
MODEL : MS-6340(VT8363)
CHIPSET : VIA : KT133 : REV 81
SOUTHBRIDGE : VIA : VT82C686 :

BIOS

BRAND : Award Software International, INC
Version : 6.00 PG
DATE 10/03/2002

Would this be the right site to get the update?

http://global.msi.com.tw/index.php?func=ht...veupdate_series

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:24 AM

Posted 07 July 2008 - 04:10 PM

Hello TheComputerNoob,

It is always recommended that you download updates and drivers from the manufacturer's site, so by using that link you provided (which is to the MSI manufacturer page) you should be fine.
Regards,

Alan.

#3 TheComputerNoob

TheComputerNoob
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2008 - 04:14 PM

I was curious, if I do end up updating, what will be the changes?

Will there be more softwares that can work?

Because I am trying to play two games called, Rumble Fighter and Combat Arms, and I do meet the requirements for some reason after the patch and its about to start it says the (application name) has encountered a problem and needs to close, then I gotta choose "send" or "don't send"

Will that be fixed?

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,406 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2008 - 04:47 PM

If you are talking about a prospective BIOS update...you need to read the specifics posted for such prospective update...before even considering doing such.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 07 July 2008 - 07:44 PM.

#5 TheComputerNoob

TheComputerNoob
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2008 - 05:05 PM

Ok, well all I did was update my motherboard's driver and for some reason whenever I right click my desktop the menu slowly shows up and it seems like my CPU usage increases.

Also when I click the start menu and then click away onto the desktop the menu slowly fades away than rather right away. Andt he CPU usage increases then goes back down.

Whats the problem here?

EDIT :: The explorer.exe usage seems to increase then go back down

Edited by TheComputerNoob, 07 July 2008 - 05:08 PM.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,406 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2008 - 07:46 PM

OK :thumbsup:.

I have to ask why you felt that you had to update your motherboard drivers...I mean, I don't update my motherboard drivers unless I see some reason to do so.

And...did you get the drivers via the WinUpdate site? Or did you go to the manufacturer of the motherboard's website? Are you sure you downloaded/installed the correct drivers?

Louis

#7 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:24 AM

Posted 07 July 2008 - 08:36 PM

It sounds like a Windows problem. Can you open device manager and expand IDE/ATA/ATAPI controllers Open the Primary IDE controller and select Advanced settings What is the Current Transfer mode?
Regards,

Alan.

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,365 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:24 AM

Posted 08 July 2008 - 04:20 AM

If you did the update within the last couple of weeks just do a System Restore, choose a date prior to the update.

Start> All Programs> Accessories> System Tools> System restore.

When this opens make sure that "Restore my computer to an earlier time" is chosen, and click on Next>.

The dates appearing in bold are the dates that you can restore to, click on the date that you want and then click Next> to start the System Restore. This may take a long time to complete, and when it is done it will restart your computer. When the computer restarts and you have logged on as the administrator a Restoration Complete page will appear, click on OK to complete the process.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users