Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I Think My Video Card Is Making My Computer Crash

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 djangoo

djangoo

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:10 PM

Posted 07 July 2008 - 03:56 PM

Usually, about once a day, my computer screen will freeze while it was in the process of scrolling. i always end up having to force my computer off. Now I've recently been told that ATI makes crappy video cards and the reason for the crash is because some driver lost the connection to another driver (I can't exactly remember everything. Maybe graphics/video driver). Based on what I heard about ATI and the nature of my problem, I think I've got a crappy video card. Is there a cheap way to solve my problem. Preferably, something that doesn't cost any money.

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:10 AM

Posted 07 July 2008 - 04:02 PM

Hello djangoo,

Have you tried installing the latest drivers for your card? http://ati.amd.com/support/driver.html
Regards,

Alan.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,411 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:10 PM

Posted 07 July 2008 - 04:45 PM

LOL...I think I'd amend your assertion about ATI cards.

In my experience, ATI cards are fine.

It's the drivers and software which have caused me (I have two old AIWs) and other persons the irritations that come in small packages :thumbsup:.

Rather than the latest drivers, I tend to favor using the ones which came with the system, motherboard, or video card.

What model card or chip do you have installed?

If boxmaker system (Dell, Gateway, etc.), then what is model and manufacturer of the system?

If onboard chip, what is the model/manufacturer of the motherboard?

Louis

#4 djangoo

djangoo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:10 PM

Posted 07 July 2008 - 05:21 PM

I've got a Dell Inspiron 530 with a Core 2 Duo processor.

What model card or chip do you have installed?

Where do I find that out? I'm looking at the device manager, but I think haven't found what I'm looking for.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,411 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:10 PM

Posted 07 July 2008 - 07:53 PM

Click Start/Run...type msinfo32...click OK.

Under System Summary/Components/Multimedia/Display...post what appears under Adapter Type and Adapter Description.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users