Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Avg.8 Locks Out Temp Internet Files/history/cookies Folders

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 The W12ard

The W12ard

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:48 PM

Posted 07 July 2008 - 01:27 PM

Help please. I think the latest update did something which means I can't delete my temporary internert files, cookies or history without doing so manually and doing things the long way round.

I set up Internet Explorer to automaticly empty temporary files on browser exit. I also set it to clear my History after 0 days which means my temp folders are always clean. But since my last AVG program update I am not able to do so.

I used a process killer to find out that AVG was responsible for locking out the History, Cookies and Temp Internet Files folders. In particular it's the "index.dat" files that the program is using. If I disable my antivirus I can delete the files no problem so it's obviously AVG that's the problem. This has only started happening since my last update. Does anyone know how to stop AVG from locking these folders so Internet Explorer is able to delete these files automaticly? I have tried using my process killer but it makes no difference. The only way I can unlock these files is the kill the AVG process.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Richard Fu

Richard Fu

• Members
  • 135 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:48 PM

Posted 07 July 2008 - 01:47 PM

Ask the people that make AVG.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,863 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:48 PM

Posted 07 July 2008 - 04:14 PM

I don't believe that the index.dat files are normally deleteable, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Index.dat

http://www.exits.ro/index-dat-files.html

http://www.bestshareware.net/howto/erase-o...x-dat-files.htm

This has nothing to do with AVG or any other installed program.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 07 July 2008 - 04:15 PM.

#4 The W12ard

The W12ard
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:48 PM

Posted 11 July 2008 - 02:54 PM

I don't believe that the index.dat files are normally deleteable,

This has nothing to do with AVG or any other installed program.

If a program/process is using a file or folder then it won't let you delete it while that file is currently in use. This is always the case with files that are locked by other programs, not just AVG. For example if you try to delete a system file while it's currently being used by Windows then it will inform you that the file is currently in use and cannot be deleted.

I do hope they get this sorted out soon cos I found a virus in my temporary internet folder today. If Internet Explorer was able to delete my temporary internet files when the browser is closed like it used to do then that file would have been deleted upon exit. Instead it remained on my hard drive until my virus checker discovered it today. If this folder is supposed to by constantly monitored by AVG then how come it wasn't picked up until I ran a full scan today?

AVG is very good at telling you when you have virus when it all too late. I thought the whole point of having an anti virus was to stop the infection BEFORE it hits your operating system and not once it's already infected you. I'm starting to lose faith in AVG8 and I'm very temped to go back to version 7.5. It was alot less hassle and it didn't slow my PC down.

Edited by The W12ard, 11 July 2008 - 03:02 PM.

#5 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:48 AM

Posted 11 July 2008 - 04:14 PM

Why don't you post you problem in the Am I Infected forum and see what suggestions are offered there?
Am I Infected?
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users