Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Taskbar Keeps Freezing

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Vitrea

Vitrea

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:47 AM

Posted 07 July 2008 - 01:15 PM

Hello, and thanks in advance for your help.

I have been using Windows Vista x32 for a while now with no problems, but starting a week ago, the taskbar has kept freezing on me at random times. When this happens, I am unable to click on any taskbar icons (including the Start button), and I cannot change my volume. Right clicking on the taskbar results in a message saying "windows explorer is not responding". I can restart the taskbar from this message and the bar will work fine right then, but will eventually freeze again later. Luckily my desktop items still work, including Firefox 3"

I reduced the number of programs that run on startup, but that didn't work. Virus and spyware scans from AVG turned up with nothing.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:47 AM

Posted 08 July 2008 - 06:21 AM

I would check the Processes tab of Task Manager (right click on the Task Bar and select Task Manager) to see what's hogging resources.
Additionally, once in the Processes tab, I'd click on the View menu item, then on Select Columns, then place a check mark next to IO Reads and click OK to accept the changes. Then expand the Task Manager window so you can see all the info and wait for it to start freezing. The name of the process that's hogging the most CPU, Memory, or IO Reads is likely to be the culprit.

Let us know what the process is and we can work from there.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 Vitrea

Vitrea
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2008 - 11:19 AM

Thanks, usasma! When the taskbar last froze, there were two processes that were constantly increasing in I/O reads: csrss.exe and hpqtra08.exe (HP Digital Imaging Monitor). They are also the two highest processes in I/O reads.

Edited by Vitrea, 08 July 2008 - 11:20 AM.

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:47 AM

Posted 08 July 2008 - 01:46 PM

I would suggest uninstalling the HP Imaging devices software from your system. Go to Control Panel...Programs...Uninstall a program and remove any HP programs that may be associated with your imaging device. Once it's uninstalled, test to see if that fixed it. If it did, and you still want the HP stuff on your system, install a fresh copy that you can download from the HP downloads site located here: http://welcome.hp.com/country/us/en/suppor...Display=drivers
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 Vitrea

Vitrea
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2008 - 12:45 PM

I uninstalled HP devices and the taskbar was freeze-free for a whole day, but it froze again as soon as I loaded a youtube video. The csrss.exe process is still the highest one on the list.

I've noticed something new: when I restart my taskbar, the startup icon for AVG says that it is scanning, although opening AVG itself shows otherwise. Right clicking the icon and selecting "continue/stop all scans" does nothing.

New symptoms: when restarting the taskbar at first, the battery icon appears, but it can't be clicked on, and the wireless connection and sound icons don't load at all. It will only fix itself if I wait about five minutes after restarting the taskbar and then open the control pannel. I have also started to hear the computer "pop" whenever the taskbar freezes or corrects itself, even if the sound is off.

Edited by Vitrea, 09 July 2008 - 03:03 PM.

#6 Vitrea

Vitrea
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2008 - 03:48 PM

As much as I hate bumping . . .

. . . BUMP

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users