Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What Size Psu For Nvidia 8 Series

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 figgis41

figgis41

• Members
  • 801 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:50 PM

Posted 07 July 2008 - 01:05 PM

Hi all ,,, i upgraded my pc to an 8 series 512MB gfx card,,,,, i have it set to 1440 x 900 pixels and refresh rate set at 75 hertz, but when i have a white page opend you can see slight little horizontal lines on the screen,,,,, thanks all,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, Ian
Figgis,,,, LUFC

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:50 AM

Posted 07 July 2008 - 02:09 PM

Are you sure this is a psu problem? What exact card do you have? Have you updated the drivers for it? For a single 8000 series graphics card, you shouldn't need much more than 300-350 Watt power supply. Just make sure its not a cheap one.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#3 figgis41

figgis41
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 801 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2008 - 11:29 AM

hi,,,, its in my daughters desktop pc,,, it came with a 7 series, but i understand vista likes an 8 series so i got her this one and updated to the latest 8 series drivers,,,
http://www.pcupgrade.co.uk/productdetails....;categoryid=112
i also think the psu is only 250 watt,,,, i could be wrong,,, i will take a look next time i open it up.
Figgis,,,, LUFC

#4 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2008 - 01:39 PM

Have you updated the drivers straight from the nvidia website?
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:50 AM

Posted 08 July 2008 - 09:00 PM

The minimum wattage for the PSU for that card is 300W. http://www.ciao.co.uk/Inno3D_GeForce_7600_GT__6604282

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 figgis41

figgis41
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 801 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2008 - 10:45 AM

hi,,,, yer sterling i dl the driver from nvidia uk site,,,, i also used the driver instalation disc first though and had the problem there first so i uninstalled it and went to nvidia to get them,,, same prob,,,, it works fine when playing game's etc,,, but when looking at a totally white page you can see faint lines across the screen,,,, i took out a nvidia 8500GT 256MB to move to another pc,,, when this was in there were no faint lines on white pages, so im guessing the psu has enough power, unless the new card being 512MB makes a differance????
thanks for the link dc,,,,, the card in the link is a 256MB like the origanal in the pc,,,, the new card is a 512MB,,,, will this make a differance in power needed to run them ??? as the 256 ran ok with no faint lines,,,,, funny thing is i have also noticed that when the pc is first switched on there are no faint lines on a white page,,, but after about an hour they appear,,,, i have checked it is seated properly and the fan is running continuasly and the fan speed is constant,,,,, bit of a strange one this,,,,
my next move is to take the 8800gt out of my pc and run the new 512 in mine and see if the lines appear,,,, if they do then i know the card is guff as mine has a 600watt psu that i put in,,,,,,, any thoughts would be appreciated,,,,, thanks.

Ian
Figgis,,,, LUFC

#7 Vaerli

Vaerli

• Members
  • 582 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:50 AM

Posted 09 July 2008 - 08:48 PM

600 watts is plenty... I've got an 8800GT running off a 550 watt psu, but I suppose it might need a much better PSU if its 250 watt right now.

Look around in your control panels and stuff, and look for an option that addresses that issue. I thought I saw something about it somewhere on my computer one day....

Q6600, 4GB g-skill, 8800GT, P5N-D motherboard
Posted Image
My art

#8 Lucky23

Lucky23

• Members
  • 304 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:50 AM

Posted 10 July 2008 - 01:30 AM

I have an 8800GS which is the lowest end of the 8800 series cards and mine stated that i needed a minimum of 26 amps on the 12V rail so you should look for a power supply that outputs at least that.
Centurion 5 Case~GA-P35-DS3L Rev2.0~E6550~EVGA 8800GS~3GB GSkill~Cooler Master 650 PRO~Seagate 320GB SATA II~ 2 ASUS 20X Burners~Sound Blaster Audigy SE~ZeroTherm CF900~Acer 22" P221W

#9 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2008 - 06:16 AM

You said after about an hour the lines appear? This could also be a sign of overheating. Does your case have good airflow? Also, make sure the fan on the graphics card is spinning.

#10 figgis41

figgis41
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 801 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2008 - 01:58 PM

HI,,,, i put the 512 8500gt in my pc and after about an hour the faint lines appeared,,, i had the side off my pc,,, the gpu fan was running fine and internal temps in my pc are the lowest of any pc i have ever had,,, so i dont think its a overheating problem,,,, so to finish this one off i put the 256 8500gt back in my daughters pc,,, put my 8800gt back in my pc and sent the 512 8500gt back to ebuyer,,,, thanks for your help all.
Figgis,,,, LUFC

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users