Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Adaware 2008 S...l...o...w! Need Alternate Software

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 LiveLarge

LiveLarge

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:29 AM

Posted 07 July 2008 - 12:45 PM

I was very happy using AAW 2007 with up to about 20 minutes for a smart scan. Now with 2008 these times are more like 1 1/2 hour.

I have the following programs

AVG 8.0
Spybot Search and Destroy
Comodo BOClean
Zone Alarm
Win Patrol

For a while now I have run Spybot S&D along with AdAware and have been fine. AdAware has become so slow with the update to 2008 I am willing to go to something different. Any advice?

I have tried Malwarebites anti spyware only a few times and then it was after running AdAware 2007 and it failed to ever detect anything which leads me to believe that it is no better and most likely not as good as AdAware. I really want the best I can get without having to pay for it and up until now believed that to be AdAware. I like to run the scan before going to bed. I brush my teeth, wash my face, check the house for anything left on (fans, AC, lights...etc.) and then come back to shut down the computer. With the new AdAware, I still have an hour wait for it to finish.....Not acceptable.
Help me out guys.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 drex23

drex23

Bleeping Existence

• Members
  • 456 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:29 AM

Posted 07 July 2008 - 12:53 PM

Malwarebytes' Antimalware (MBAM) and SuperAntiSpyware are two of the best programs and can both be had in free versions. The reason why MBAM probably wasn't finding anything is due to the fact that it doesn't scan for cookies and programs such as AdAware do. Both of those programs are held in higher regard than AdAware in communities such as this.

#3 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2008 - 06:10 PM

Most spyware scanners take longer than that to scan depending on your system. I use Super Anti Spyware and it takes about 40 minutes. AVG Anti Spyware takes even longer. I'm more concerned about effectiveness and both have found stuff other than cookies. I usually go out for breakfast while it's scanning and it's done when I return. If the length of time is your number one priority for an anti spyware program, your priorities are out of whack.

#4 3xist

3xist

• Banned
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2008 - 08:40 PM

Malwarebytes' Antimalware (MBAM) and SuperAntiSpyware are two of the best programs and can both be had in free versions. The reason why MBAM probably wasn't finding anything is due to the fact that it doesn't scan for cookies and programs such as AdAware do. Both of those programs are held in higher regard than AdAware in communities such as this.

+1.

I also recommend SAS & MBAM. Spybot & Ad-aware are past it's prime.

Josh

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users