Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ctrl Keys Not Working

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 anirban

anirban

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:04 AM

Posted 07 July 2008 - 11:17 AM

Hello
First of all thanks for reading this post.
I am having a problem with my keyboard.
Both the Ctrl keys of my keyboard has stopped responding. I also think F5 key is not working.
I cannot say with certainty when it stopped working,but I detected it while playing a CD game that I have played many times before without any glitches.

It may be a keyboard problem but what strikes me is that if it is a hardware problem why did both the Ctrl keys stopped working simultaneously???

I also haven't opened or cleaned this keyboard recently.Also another keyboard is not easily accessible to me so I haven't replaced it and checked.

I uninstalled the keyboard driver and rebooted and next time Windows automatically reinstalled the keyboard driver,but this didn't solve the problem.
I have also unticked all stickey key/toggle ket etc options from control panel.

SPECIFICATIONS

OS - XP
keyboard - Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural PS/2 Keyboard.

What can I do??? Please help.
ANIRBAN

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:34 PM

Posted 07 July 2008 - 12:07 PM

Hello anirban,

Have you checked the keyboard settings and regional and language settings in control panel for keyboard layout options.
Regards,

Alan.

#3 anirban

anirban
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2008 - 03:29 AM

Hello
Thanks for the prompt reply.
Yes I have been to control panel->keyboard properties,it has two parts speed and hardware.
I donot find any problem there.
The device status given is:

This device is working properly.

If you are having problems with this device, click Troubleshoot to start the troubleshooter.

I haven't tampered with the regional and language settings so should it be a problem,even if it is what exactly do I need to do with it???
ANIRBAN

#4 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2008 - 08:15 AM

If you open the regional settings options and open the languages tab click the details tab and make sure the keyboard is set as English UK

Also you could try opening a notepad file and see if other keys don't work.
Regards,

Alan.

#5 anirban

anirban
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2008 - 08:37 AM

Language is set to English(U.S.),I have checked in a notepad ,all other keys except Ctrl seems to work,f2,f3,f9also working.
What else can I do?????????
ANIRBAN

#6 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2008 - 09:02 AM

I know you said in a previous post that you mentioned that another keyboard is not easily accessible, but you should check the other keyboard. If it works then your keyboard is broken, if it doesn't there is a deeper problem in windows.
Regards,

Alan.

#7 anirban

anirban
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2008 - 10:58 AM

Yes ,I think I would have to arrange another keyboard,if I can ,test it and then get back here in 2-3 days time.

But what stops me from thinking that it is a hardware problem is that why would both the Ctrl keys stop working simultaneously????Any reasons there??

Anyways thanks again for the advice.
ANIRBAN

#8 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2008 - 11:07 AM

No problem, glad to help.

I would suspect a driver problem, but as you have re installed them I doubt that's the problem. The keyboard may not be st up correctly, but as you have said in the regional settings it looks ok. It may be a virus infection, hardware fault, or software fault.
Regards,

Alan.

#9 anirban

anirban
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2008 - 10:17 AM

Hi
I borrowed another keyboard from a friend and tested it.The other keyboard worked fine.
So I suspected that it was a keyboard problem.I pulled out the CTRL KEYS of my KB and cleaned and reinserted them.
Next I took my keyboard and tested on my friend's machine and surprise ,THE CTRL KEYS worked properly.I tried CTrl+a,Ctrl+c/v/z/x,ctrl+alt+del all worked!!!!!!

Now when I brought back my keyboard and attached to my computer,IT WORKED FINE,THE CTRL KEYS worked properly.I tried CTrl+a,Ctrl+c/v/z/x,ctrl+alt+del all worked again!!!!!!

Now if that was not to be the last twist,suddenly the computer hanged.I rebooted and keyboard again worked properly!! but after some time THE CTRL KEYS AGAIN STOPPED WORKING and I am back to square one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.

pls help.Also I would like to mention here that for quite a few days now,I have been getting the BLUE SCREEN ,the errors are random like IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR EQUAL,PFNLIST_CORRUPT,DRIVERIRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL etc.Some times the files identified are win32k.sys or atidvag.sys or fastfat.sys etc.It also says some of my drivers may be outdated and some I feel are, since I am using this machine for around 4 yrs. though this may be completely

Pls. help :thumbsup:
ANIRBAN

#10 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2008 - 11:13 AM

Thats good to know that the keyboard works. Have a look at http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=35246 for help in analysing crash reports.
Regards,

Alan.

#11 anirban

anirban
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2008 - 11:29 AM

Hello

I think you didnot read the full post, The Ctrl keys have suddenly again stopped working.So its not working afterall!!!!!!.
As far as the link you gave , I checked it,its really good but I would also like to add that I found it a little confusing.... :thumbsup:

NOW the Ctrl keys are again working!!!!!!!!!!
IS it a loose connection or what ?????????????????
ANIRBAN

#12 anirban

anirban
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2008 - 10:57 AM

Hello

My keyboards Ctrl keys have again stopped working.And I still dont know what is the reason???
what can I do to find out?? I have tried all that was advised.
Pls. help,I am also repeatedly getting the blue screens as mentioned in the previous posts.

Pls help.
ANIRBAN

#13 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2008 - 01:09 PM

This is beginning to sound like a system fault. have you looked in the event viewer? How To Use Event Viewer it may help finding out what is wrong.

Edited by nigglesnush85, 20 July 2008 - 01:10 PM.

Regards,

Alan.

#14 anirban

anirban
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2008 - 11:34 PM

Hello
Thanks a lot again for the help.
I have seen the post,but I found that my system time was incorrect so I couldnot determine the time when the system crashed.Next time it crashes,I would try to find the cause in the event viewer.
I have also written a detailed post on the blue screen problem I am facing in the forum on internal hardware.
Pls take a look at the post
ANIRBAN

#15 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2008 - 03:39 AM

No problem, I'll have a look at the other topic. Let us know what you find in the event viewer.
Regards,

Alan.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users