Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Usb Devices Not Recognized

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 spleencheesemonkey

spleencheesemonkey

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:35 PM

Posted 07 July 2008 - 06:35 AM

Hi all,

Wonder if someone can help. I'm currently working on a friend's parent's pc and am having trouble getting any usb devices to be recognized. I keep getting the message that a device has malfunctioned and then "unknown device" connected. I've tried two different flash keys, a usb keyboardl, and a wireless mouse that has a usb dongle with no luck.

I've tried removing all unknown devices listed in device manager under usb menu and rebooting. still no luck.
I notice that there are many other people out there with similar problems - some resolutions seem to be disconnecting the pc altogether from the mains and leaving it for 30 minutes before trying again.. crazy, but it seems to have worked for some of them...not for this one though.

I've also tried disabling the power off for the usb ports when not in use, in an effort to eliminate the possibility of them not "waking up" properly if they've not been used for a while.

There was another solution posted that i read and tried which involved removing any "VID" entries in the registry that i didn't recognize, and then reboot - still no luck.

I'm wondering if a motherboard replacement would work. The current mobo is an Imperial GL VE 20021218, in an emachines pc.
Any advice is greatly appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:35 PM

Posted 07 July 2008 - 10:56 AM

a. Remove the USB drivers in XP...reboot...and see what happens to USB capability.

b. Buy a USB 2.0 card and install same in desktop, [post="http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817180003"]Example USB 2.0 Card[/post]

Louis

#3 spleencheesemonkey

spleencheesemonkey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2008 - 02:32 AM

louis,

thanks for your reply. Have tried that with no luck. the pc has a pci to usb card in it which provides 4 ports which now work. the two which go straight on the mobo at the back, and the two on the front linked by a cable to the mobo do not work. they know a device has been plugged in, but they do not recognize it.
incidently, when i removed all usb listings in device manager and rebooted - it reinstalled the usb hubs and controllers, but said that an unrecognized device had been found, although there was no usb device plugged in to any port.
i have finally managed to locate the chipset drivers for the motherboard and will attempt installing them this evening....watch this space.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:35 PM

Posted 08 July 2008 - 10:18 AM

There's also a possibility that none of those 4 ports were ever properly connected when the motherboard connections were made.

I know that I usually don't bother connecting my front/case USB ports, maybe others don't either.

The fact that there already is a PCI USB card installed on this system...tells me that the owners knew that the onboard USB ports were flaky and they installed a PCI USB 2.0 card to give the system USB functionality.

Louis

#5 spleencheesemonkey

spleencheesemonkey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2008 - 05:17 AM

chipset drivers installed and still no luck. apparently their usb ports used to work at one point. oh well. new mobo it is then.

thanks for your replies.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users