Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ie Opens Site 66.98.238.8 All Times

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 dhruv

dhruv

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:44 PM

Posted 07 July 2008 - 02:01 AM

Can somebody plz help me....whenever i open IE...it opens some website 66.98.238.8
It actually doesn't open anything but does not let me open any other web pages also.......
i think my browser is hi-jacked.......

plz plz help me

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Guest_superbird_*

Guest_superbird_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 07 July 2008 - 07:03 AM

Please download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and save it to your desktop.
alternate download link 1
alternate download link 2
  • Make sure you are connected to the Internet.
  • Double-click on Download_mbam-setup.exe to install the application.
  • When the installation begins, follow the prompts and do not make any changes to default settings.
  • When installation has finished, make sure you leave both of these checked:
    • Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
    • Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
  • Then click Finish.
  • MBAM will automatically start and you will be asked to update the program before performing a scan. If an update is found, the program will automatically update itself. Press the OK button to close that box and continue. If you encounter any problems while downloading the updates, manually download them from here and just double-click on mbam-rules.exe to install.
  • On the Scanner tab:
    • Make sure the "Perform Quick Scan" option is selected.
    • Then click on the Scan button.
  • If asked to select the drives to scan, leave all the drives selected and click on the Start Scan button.
  • The scan will begin and "Scan in progress" will show at the top. It may take some time to complete so please be patient.
  • When the scan is finished, a message box will say "The scan completed successfully. Click 'Show Results' to display all objects found".
  • Click OK to close the message box and continue with the removal process.
  • Back at the main Scanner screen, click on the Show Results button to see a list of any malware that was found.
  • Make sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
  • When removal is completed, a log report will open in Notepad and you may be prompted to restart your computer. (see Note below)
  • The log is automatically saved and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.
  • Copy and paste the contents of that report in your next reply and exit MBAM.
Note: If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove, you will be presented with 1 of 2 prompts. Click OK to either and let MBAM proceed with the disinfection process. If asked to restart the computer, please do so immediately. Failure to reboot will prevent MBAM from removing all the malware.

#3 dhruv

dhruv
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2008 - 08:07 AM

Thanx superbird.......i never thought Spybot S&D would ditch me :thumbsup:
Anyways i hope i m free of those malware now

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.19
Database version: 899
Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2

6:35:25 PM 7/7/2008
mbam-log-7-7-2008 (18-35-25).txt

Scan type: Quick Scan
Objects scanned: 40139
Time elapsed: 5 minute(s), 16 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
Memory Modules Infected: 0
Registry Keys Infected: 14
Registry Values Infected: 3
Registry Data Items Infected: 0
Folders Infected: 0
Files Infected: 4

Memory Processes Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{ed120d76-bf31-412c-a99b-783c6676e128} (Trojan.Vundo) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{c3f37eca-a8d9-4633-92c6-fe24c7d16aba} (Trojan.Vundo) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\Notify\crypt (Trojan.Agent) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\jkwslist (Malware.Trace) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\MSControlService (Rootkit.Agent) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\affri (Malware.Trace) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\affltid (Malware.Trace) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\affltid (Malware.Trace) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\affri (Malware.Trace) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MS Juan (Malware.Trace) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Juan (Trojan.Vundo) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\FCOVM (Trojan.Vundo) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\RemoveRP (Trojan.Vundo) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\DomainService (Trojan.Agent) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Registry Values Infected:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\ShellExecuteHooks\{ed120d76-bf31-412c-a99b-783c6676e128} (Trojan.Vundo) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\ShellExecuteHooks\{415d402f-a6fc-4ca2-927b-2323baafb966} (Trojan.Vundo) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\ShellExecuteHooks\{c3f37eca-a8d9-4633-92c6-fe24c7d16aba} (Trojan.Vundo) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Registry Data Items Infected:

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:
D:\WINDOWS\cookies.ini (Malware.Trace) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
D:\WINDOWS\system32\npqss.ini (Malware.Trace) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
D:\WINDOWS\system32\npqss.ini2 (Malware.Trace) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
D:\WINDOWS\system32\oqtss.ini (Malware.Trace) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

#4 Guest_superbird_*

Guest_superbird_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 07 July 2008 - 08:53 AM

Hi,

Run MBAM again and post the logfile.
Do you still have any problems? :thumbsup:

#5 dhruv

dhruv
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2008 - 01:59 AM

SORRY FOR THE LATE REPLY

Hi,

Run MBAM again and post the logfile.
Do you still have any problems? :huh:

hey thnx a lot superbird... :thumbsup: ..but i know this vundo will strike back... :flowers: ..some time earlier too my PC was infected with Vundo...
i removed it n knew it'll come back...this time i dint realise.. :trumpet: ...thanx for suggesting MBAM......

But how much can i trust MBAM???? :inlove:

i'll post its logfile below....see if u find anything fishy......

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.20
Database version: 941
Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2

12:29:14 PM 7/12/2008
mbam-log-7-12-2008 (12-29-14).txt

Scan type: Quick Scan
Objects scanned: 41591
Time elapsed: 6 minute(s), 39 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
Memory Modules Infected: 0
Registry Keys Infected: 0
Registry Values Infected: 0
Registry Data Items Infected: 0
Folders Infected: 0
Files Infected: 0

Memory Processes Infected:

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:

Registry Values Infected:

Registry Data Items Infected:

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:

#6 Guest_superbird_*

Guest_superbird_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 12 July 2008 - 03:30 AM

Hi,

You can trust MBAM for the biggest part. MBAM can delete much infections, and is used by the HijackThis helpers on this forum too.
But do this to be sure:

Please download VundoFix.exe
to your desktop.
  • Double-click VundoFix.exe to run it.
  • Click the Scan for Vundo button.
  • Once it's done scanning, click the Remove Vundo button.
  • You will receive a prompt asking if you want to remove the files, click YES
  • Once you click yes, your desktop will go blank as it starts removing Vundo.
  • When completed, it will prompt that it will reboot your computer, click OK.
  • Please post the contents of C:\vundofix.txt and a new HiJackThis log.
Note: It is possible that VundoFix encountered a file it could not remove.
In this case, VundoFix will run on reboot, simply follow the above
instructions starting from "Click the Scan for Vundo button." when
VundoFix appears at reboot.

#7 dhruv

dhruv
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2008 - 01:44 AM

here is the VundoFix log

VundoFix V7.0.6

Scan started at 12:17:03 PM 7/12/2008

Listing files found while scanning....

No infected files were found.

Edited by quietman7, 17 July 2008 - 11:19 AM.

#8 Guest_superbird_*

Guest_superbird_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 17 July 2008 - 06:47 AM

That HijackThislog was a mistake, I may not ask for it.
Please let it stay, I will inform a moderator to remove it. :thumbsup:

Tell me: Do you still have problems? :flowers:

Edited by superbird, 17 July 2008 - 12:01 PM.

#9 dhruv

dhruv
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2008 - 07:37 AM

thnx superbird..but as of now i don see any problems wid my PC......

#10 Guest_superbird_*

Guest_superbird_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 25 July 2008 - 12:37 PM

Hi,

Everything looks clean again then. :thumbsup:
Do this:

1. Now you should Set a New Restore Point to prevent possible reinfection from an old one. Some of the malware you picked up could have been saved in System Restore. Since System Restore is a protected directory, your tools can not access it to delete these bad files which sometimes can reinfect your system. Setting a new restore point AFTER cleaning your system will help prevent this and enable your computer to "roll-back" to a clean working state.

The easiest and safest way to do this is:
  • Go to Start > Programs > Accessories > System Tools and click "System Restore".
  • Choose the radio button marked "Create a Restore Point" on the first screen then click "Next". Give the R.P. a name then click "Create". The new point will be stamped with the current date and time. Keep a log of this so you can find it easily should you need to use System Restore.
  • Then use Disk Cleanup to remove all but the most recently created Restore Point.
  • Then go to Start > Run and type: Cleanmgr
  • Click "OK".
  • Click the "More Options" Tab.
  • Click "Clean Up" in the System Restore section to remove all previous restore points except the newly created one.
2. Go to the Windows update site and download and install all available updates, so your computer is prtected against malware.

3. Read this page To prevent yourself against re-infection.

You can delete all used tools and programs.

#11 dhruv

dhruv
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2008 - 07:18 AM

hey i've done as u said.....but i want one more favor from u..... i would be leaving my place now for atleast 4 yrs for my higher studies in the US....i stay in INDIA btw..... so now my Dad would be the only one managing this PC of mine.... i have Symantec Corporate Edition 10.0.1 AV, Spybot S&D, MBAM, SpywareBlaster installed on my machine....

my main concern is the updates..... i don think my Dad knows much bout all this....so m really worried as all the above stuff doesn't have Automatic Updates facility......

So my Question is : Do u know any safe n secured Programs which would update on its own n regularly......n it shud be preferably a free software......

#12 Guest_superbird_*

Guest_superbird_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 28 July 2008 - 07:51 AM

No, I'm sorry. Maybe you can do something with taskmanager. But I don't know.
I think Symantec has it's automatic update function?

I wish you good luck with your studies. :thumbsup:

When your father has problems, let him post on this board. We will help him then. :flowers:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users