Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help Building My New Gaming Rig

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 organumpenguin

organumpenguin

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:51 AM

Posted 07 July 2008 - 01:04 AM

My budget is not really an issue. I plan to buy one component every couple of weeks, as to spread it out. I know its torture, but i think it would be fun, and that way i can really spend what i want on each component and take my time learning how to install it and not break anything. ( This is my first Build) Here are the components i have selected. Anything you guys would change for whatever reason?

Alright well i have already bought the case, i saw it at frys today, and it was the one that i had read so many good things about on newegg. That said here is a link to it just to give a complete picture.

Case: (already purchased): CoolerMaster Cosmos 1000

CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad q9450 Yorkfield 2.66GHz 1333 FSB

MOBO: NVIDIA nForce 780i SLI ATX

Power Supply: 750W ESP12V PC Power & Cooling 275QB

GPU: EVGA GeForce 8800 GTS (640mb) PCIE ( if i decide on this card i will eventually run two of them SLI)

MEMORY: 2 x 2GB 240 PIN DDR2 800 SDRAM G.SKILL

My optical drive and hard drive are just run of the mill. Once i get everything operational i will go back and add a nice 10,000 rpm and maybe a blue ray. Who knows.

I think the power supply is set, but should i go for the 790i on the motherboard. How about my GPU do you think that is good enough or will it be outdated too soon?

Thanks for the help.:cool;

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 cornzey

cornzey

• Members
  • 156 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:51 PM

Posted 07 July 2008 - 02:55 AM

I'm no expert on motherboards so I can't really answer your question. However the cards with Nvidia chipsets tend to perform better with nForce boards.

The 8800 GTS seems to be a good card and is on par with the 9800 GTX which is around $40 more expensive.

Take a look at the link below, although it is a review on the 9800 GTX take a look at the benchmarks and you will get some idea about performance.

9800GTX Review

Hope this helps,
Cornzey

Posted Image

If I'm giving you help and I don't reply within 24 hours PM me with the topic link.

Avast Anti-Virus - Zone Alarm Firewall
Stay Protected.

#3 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:51 AM

Posted 07 July 2008 - 08:02 AM

For that price, why not just go with a 9800GTX? They are about the same price and even cheaper if you don't count the rebate. The 8800GTS 640mb is really old by the way. An 8800GT 512mb or even better, an 8800GTS 512mb are much better an much cheaper. A 9800GTX will dominate an old 8800GTS 640mb.

They are probably still so expensive, because they don't make them anymore.

Also, you don't need that many watts on your power supply, but if you like that one go ahead. Having too many watts won't hurt anything.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#4 organumpenguin

organumpenguin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:51 AM

Posted 07 July 2008 - 11:24 AM

Thanks, good advice. What do you think of the new nvidia 260? i know its a bit more but do you think its worth it?

#5 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:51 AM

Posted 07 July 2008 - 02:06 PM

They are pretty nice. If you wait a week or so, they are suppose to drop about $50 too because the new ATI 4870 is just about as good and costs $100 less. Here's some benchmarks on tomshardware.com http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-hd-4870,1964.html . That has all the modern graphics cards. Just look through some of the benchmarks to get an idea on how each card performs.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users